2017 MLB Game #130: Cards vs. Rays Sun Aug 27

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #130: Cards vs. Rays Sun Aug 27

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The frustrating thing is that they strike out against guys who aren’t known as strike out pitchers.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

And look so lost at the plate.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Didn’t mean for you to feel singled out.It just gets real tiresome to read daily how Grichuk stinks and how Tommy Pham is the greatest thing since sliced bread and does no wrong

Participant

BW:

It hurts when a player we like does badly and has a sub par year. The fact is IF this organization is serious about being a top notch contender and I’m sure they are serious but if they are then Grichuck, Piscotty, Leake, and perhaps others need to be gone from this team for 2018. Then either go all in for free agents and trades or bring up all the kids.
    The problem is I don’t see where they have a plan for the future. What are they trying to do? I think doing nothing at the deadline might be symptomatic of them not having a clue as to what they are doing or what they should next.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Seems like we do strike out a lot across the board. It also seems to me that we aren’t good at situational hitting either. I suppose those two things couple together often. That’s why I said what I said about Piscotty and Grichuk in the 9th. When I get time in the next day or so, I’ll satisfy my curiosity by comparing our stats against other teams.

As for some of the discussion in this thread by Bw52 and colhusker, I thought I’d take a look at some of our key individuals. Here are some relevant individual stats for K and BB rates by order of OPS. I guess it gives an idea of how the individual’s peripherals are supporting the individual’s overall effectiveness at the plate:

Name / OPS / K% / BB%
    ===============================
    Pham / .895 / .231 / .125
    DeJong / .893 / .296 / .035
    Martinez / .858 / .215 / .098
    Wong / .857 / .153 / .093
    Fowler / .847 / .195 / .133
    Carpenter / .816 / .192 / .162
    Gyorko / .809 / .218 / .098
    Voit / .774 / .237 / .062
    Molina / .755 / .148 / .044
    Grichuk / .751 / .301 / .060
    Piscotty / .710 / .215 / .129
    Garcia / .707 / .217 / .130

Participant

Paid - Annual

The fact that the Cards have a surplus of OF’s.Piscotty has a long term contract and i think he gets 1 more year to rebound.Fowler has a NTC.Sierra is a top 30 Cards prospect and is very young so I think he stays.Bader and O’Neill are young and close to being ready. Plus Cards have Martini who is hitting .300 at Memphis and he is a lefty bat.
    So using that logic makes me think that these guys could be the guys who are traded.
    1.Tommy Pham- he is having a good season but he is also going to be 30_
    Before next season and does have his vision issues.
    2.Grichuk-his power potential will make somebody take a chance with him since he is still cheap,good defense and only 26.
    3.Jose Martinez.might be a great fit for a AL team as a DH.A role that fits him perfectly.
    Do I think the FO will be proactive enough to be really aggressive to make big things happen this off season.I really hope to see big progress and not just “We really tried” but nobody wanted to deal.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice post Eurowolf.I think Yadi’s stats are somewhat misleading.He might not strikeout much or Walk much but batting 5th it seems he has killed many more rallies than he has started.Didn’t DeJong only walk 1 time in his first 100 Abs?His walk rate has improved since then but he still could improve his selectivity at the plate.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I believe the FO itself will feel like they have to deliver something this off-season, if for nothing else than their own longevity.

As for who goes, there shouldn’t be many untouchables if it helps us meet critical needs. I think it’s hard to name specific players we will deal at this point because it will be more demand driven rather than supply driven. We want value for what we give up and that only comes by fitting other teams’ specific needs when your dealing away what we have to offer. We don’t have many universally and heavily desired chips.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

No doubt Yadi is not ideal for 5th in the batting order…for more than one reason. Looking at those numbers, I guess Wong is the biggest surprise overall to me considering what my expectations were in late March for guys on the 40-man.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that none of the OFs are valuable enough by them self to being big returns back in trade.I think it will have to be a package type deal.I really hope Cards can keep most of their young pitching prospects because of the question marks concerning Wainwright and Wacha.Weavdr and Flaherty andHudson all need to be kept along with Bomber abd Fallen and Helsey.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years