2017 MLB Game #126: Cards vs. Padres Wed Aug 23

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #126: Cards vs. Padres Wed Aug 23

This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Traditionally, the 4th and 5th infielders are a versatile middle infielder type like Garcia and a corner bruiser type with some power who can come off the bench in the late innings with some pop. The latter was supposed to be
    Gyorko. It became Voit for awhile.
    It may be Voit again in the future. You never know. That spot may be for a bat and not necessarily versatility.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Garcia has an .858 OPS in the second half. He’s got a .373 OBP for the year and can play any position needed. He will definitely win a spot. Diaz hasn’t done well in AAA at all and I don’t know if he can get it back before the end of the year. I’d be more inclined to have Alex Mejia playing over Diaz once the rosters expand.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of course, Voit has a chance, but it is less because of his defensive limitation. That is a big reason why Matt Adams is in Atlanta right now and Voit is back in Memphis.

Pads, I get your point on Mejia vs. Diaz. FWIW, I doubt either one will play when rosters are expanded, unless the Cards take a nosedive.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years