2017 MLB Game #120: Cards at Red Sox Wed Aug 16

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #120: Cards at Red Sox Wed Aug 16

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That was one of those games where I just never felt like we were going to win it. It was eerily like our earlier season games, where we score early, and cannot add to the lead.

That ninth inning was horribly played. We looked defeated by our actions and body language – all the timeouts, the stalling. The umpire got to our heads, similar to 1985 game six. Once that happened you could just see where were unsure, and kept stammering like we knew the inevitable would happen, but maybe if we just do not pitch we can keep it from happening.

Just a weird game. What is it about us playing Boston. Seems we can never beat them. Fortunately we do not play them much.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Clearly Boston is a much better team than StL, but the Cards should be embarrassed by this loss. Several points of failure combined to make it possible in the end. Gotta just shake my head at Carp and Yadi…they have to be better.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Rat I would have liked to see Rosenthal healthy tonight and see what happens.

Post game could be fun

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting to hear what the deal was with Rosenthal. I was surprised he threw an off speed pitch on that 3-2 count before he came out. The TV announcers were all over it before he even came out, saying his velocity was down a little.

Some nights guys just don’t have it, and of course Rosenthal tends to be more up and down than many. Usually a guy like Kimbrel is fairly consistent, but Rosenthal as we are painfully aware of, can be very good or very bad.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

You got that right Mike. He has been bad tons and TONS of times over the last 3-4 years. He has pitched poorly on many occasions and other occasions he has pitched poorly and got the job done by a whisker. They simply cant keep running him out there knowing its a crapshoot as to which one they are going to get, Jekyll or Hyde.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Matheney’s frustration should be channeled at his own team. Terrible relief pitching again, as we’ve been saying all year. Rosenthal giving up a home run and a walk in the bottom of the 9th is unacceptable at this point in the season for a game like this. If you can’t close it out here, you’re not a playoff team, period. I don’t care what Rosenthal has done in the past, it doesn’t matter now. What matters now is putting up a W, I don’t care about tightness in your arm or whatever, you need to pitch till your d*** arm falls off and get batters out. You listening, Rosie?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And what is up with Molina anymore? Why cant he catch a ball on a play at the plate? Has anybody else noticed this? He seems unable to come up with the ball on the throw home. Sometimes its a difficult hop but the play at the plate tonight was right there for him and he missed it.

Whats wrong with him that he cant come up with the throws to home???

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

On a good note, the Reds have stormed back from a 6-1 deficit to tie the game 6-6. They are in the bottom of the 8th at Wrigley now.

Participant

Free

Rosenthal has been a lot more good than bad to this franchise and you rat bashing him is comical your such a clueless clown when things don’t go the cards way

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Onyxgem,

Your thoughts on baseball are welcome here, whether those views are shared by others or not. I enjoy reading what you have to say, but I’d respectfully ask that you not resort to name calling. Keep it lively, but not personal. And, I’m just a participant, not a moderator.

Thanks!

Participant

Free

Just a side note, the Cubs won their game on a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th that the Reds catcher couldn’t gather in…

Participant

Free

Don’t worry rat. Alex Reyes might be the bullpen savior next season.

Participant

Free

The poor team we watched half the year sadly is back.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s time to give more playing time to Kelly…. Molina is slipping a lot sooner than most thought he would. He can’t even catch well anymore… that play at the plate was on him.

That triple play should embarrass Yadi… is it that he doesn’t care… he steals bases, but can’t run to 1st????? That’s a problem I have with Molina. WTF, run out grounders and stop being an automatic DP or now TP. Actually, does any team need an over-the-hill C that just signed a sweetheart contract?

I’m sick of the Yadi being Yadi passes.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Avatar14NyquisT.
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I agree 14NyquisT. See my earlier post about Molina not being able to catch throws to home anymore. That throw last night, a good high school catcher could have caught it and made the tag.

I hate to say it, but I have ALWAYS thought Molina has been over-rated.

r/Rat

Participant

Free

Rat you think EVERYBODY is over rated when they don’t make a play you think they should make, but when they are doing great you never say a word about that pathetic.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Onyxgem,
    You must be a newbie to Cardinal baseball. Unless you are one of the old posters that’s returned with a new ID. Anyway, I’ve said the same thing about Molina and Rosenthal for years. And you probably need to pay a little more attention to what CardsRedSox4Ever told you above.

Participant

Free

Rat I am not the one who needs to pay attention, you focus is such SHORT sighted it is pathetic. your name calling of players is beyond childish and why you keep asking why somebody is on the team when it is easy to tell why you would never be a GM ever is comical

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m pissed that we lost this game, too.

Participant

Free

Rat, I noticed you failed to address past points about Rosenthal being a better pitcher than you give him credit for. If Sutter or Lee Smith were pitching for the Cardinals today, you would have a problem with them also. They weren’t as good as many people think they were.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years