2017 MLB Game #108: Cards at Brewers Thu Aug 3

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #108: Cards at Brewers Thu Aug 3

This topic contains 29 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar PadsFS 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Michael Wacha (8-4, 3.71) vs. Matt Garza (off DL) 1:10 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

New look with Wong leading off and Carpenter batting in the dreaded third spot. Molina remains not tired.

NJ315
    Participant

Send Kelly back to Memphis. Bring someone else to sit on the bench. Actually trade Kelly we don’t need him with Molina here for the next 3 years.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Kelly has nothing left to prove in Memphis. He can learn the pitchers here for when Molina inevitably gets injured.

I like the trying of Carpenter in the 3-spot.

Wong, Pham, Carpenter is a nice one-two-three with Fowler out.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i like trying him out there again to see what happens… though i’m not really sold on Wong as leadoff…i think in this lineup i go with Garcia as he has a knack for getting on base….or Pham and his SB potential…slotting Wong into the #2 or maybe even Piscotty…t o try to jump start him…

Kelly shouldnt have been up in the first place…BUT now that he is up and Fryer is off the 40 man…we dont have another catcher on the 40 man so unless we drop someone and add ROsario probably we dont really have any options… I’d probably do that at this point IMO…as we will bring up a 3rd catcher in September undoubtedly…so why not make the move now…i havent looked at the 40 man recently…but maybe not

anyone else think this offseason woudl be a good time to let Kelly try out 1b and 3b again? maybe even see if Voit could get his catching gear back on and be good enough to serve as 3rd catcher…. that way we coudl actually USE Kelly’s prowess with the bat from time to time and not be stuck without a catcher..

bccran
    Participant

Jags talks sense.

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Wacha’s day is going to be a short one if he can’t get a couple low pitch innings. No one out in second at and 30 already.

Nice play by Wong to get tag

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

0-0 after 2-1/2 – good guys with just one base runner so far.

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

1-0 Brewers after 3 – Wacha’s pitch count is 64, going to need bullpen to eat some innings today. Garza is at 38 pitches through 3.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by colhusker colhusker.
    Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I dunno why you would go with Garcia over Wong, consider Wong has a .373 OBP and .773 OPS while Garcia’s OBP percentage is only .349 with .653 OPS, looks to me like if we want OBP to be at top of lineup Wong is the guy and well ahead of Garcia in that sense

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

1-0 Brewers after 3-1/2 Cards go in order

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Wong with a great diving catch to end 4th. Still 1-0 Brewers

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

walks to Molina and Martinez to start inning lead to a Garcia RBi 1-1 after 4-1/2

Missed a chance as Voit grounds into an inning ending DP

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Cecil in gets first two and then gives up a run with three straight hits. 2-1 Brewers after 5

So excited for the front office to bring us another like him if we stay close.

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Wong’s lead-off hit wasted as he is stranded at third.

Watching Carpenter’s Dave Kingman upper cut swing is painful. Wish they would get him to level off and hit doubles again.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It’s enough to make you weep to know we’re going to be paying that guy big money for three more years after this one. Four years for this guy is perhaps the biggest head-scratcher I’ve seen our execs make.

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Cecil with a 1-2-3 6th

Brewers 2 Cards 1 after 6

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Cardinals waste a lead-off hit – Another inning ending DP

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Siegrist in for the 7th gets Brewers 1-2-3 – 2-1 Brewers after 7

Yadi clunked in the head on strike three to Santana

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Cardinals waste Wong’s one out double. Pham rolls over on an outside pitcher and Carpenter flys out yet again.

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Another fine play by Wong to end Brewer’s 8th. Oh with a scoreless inning. 2-1 Brewers after 8

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Cardinals again fail to get to .500 – Just 6 hits and 1 run today. Cardinals averaging 1.8 runs over last 6 games.

Brewers win 2-1

Joslin
    Participant

Free

I have to question Matheny’s managerial instincts, which may have cost the Cardinals yet another game today. He pulled Wacha, who was pitching quite well, after 4 innings, costing him a chance at earning a win, should it have happened. He pinch hit Voit, who promptly grounded into an inning ending double play. The pitcher who substituted Wacha promptly gave up a run, which proved to be the game winner.
    Additionally, he moved Carpenter to 3rd in the lineup after Matt had been playing really well in the leadoff spot for the last month. Of course, the move paid off handsomely as Carpenter went o-4. Wong went 2-4 in the leadoff spot, but nothing came of it.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Man does this team have problems. Nobody can hit, nobody can pitch, cant score any runs, too many strikeouts. The problem is that almost everybody is having a down year. I guess it happens. But I don’t see anything to make me believe, based on past history, that things will be a little better next year.

There needs to be some major changes made. Grichuk is hopeless and at this point I assume they should probably just give up on him.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

This was a predictable end to this series.

This team sucks!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years