Wieters

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 1 month ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I haven’t seen much mention of him on this forum, but I’m rather happy with Matt Wieters. I know there is little on which to base any judgments, but with just a couple of appearances he strikes me as an excellent acquisition, particularly in light of the frequent criticism (often justified) of the front office. It wasn’t an “impact move,” but in the long run I think it will turn out to be a smart one. Perhaps even Yadi will appreciate the competent relief as the season goes on.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, folks probably hope it will not be an impact move, because that would mean Molina got hurt. Still, there was no doubt when he was signed that Wieters was a major upgrade over Pena and he has already proven that in his first month.

Wieters already has five RBI while Pena had just eight all of last season (142 PAs).

This signing is an example of the Cardinals being patient and Wieters dropped into their lap. 😉

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Patience!

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This was a great move by the FO. I hope Shildt gets him in the lineup a little more and dose not run Molina into the ground by early August.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The right backup catcher can make 1-2 WAR difference at a small price.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

There seems to be some misinformation about the backup catcher and when he plays. Late last season after Shildt’s takeover and Yadi’s return from injury it was stated pretty bluntly to the press by everyone from the owner to the manager that Yadi plays when Yadi wants to play and there is no discussion — and so it was. This season I suspect the same rules will apply but perhaps Shildt can be more convincing to Yadi that a days rest now and then makes for a good season. We shall see.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Minuteman, that unwritten rule may have been reiterated after Shildt took over, but it was in place long before then.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Yes they were in place, no doubt, but they were never publicized as they were then with direct statements to the press. I think Yadi will eventually be a manager but I am not sure it will be for the Cardinals because of timing.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, if you recall the incident a few years back when Matheny suggested Molina looked tired as a reason for giving him a day off and the catcher then called his manager out on social media, the situation was highly publicized and well understood. Public statements or a press release affirming that Molina expected to play every day were unnecessary.

It will be interesting to see where Molina’s post-playing career goes. I do not question his baseball acumen, but other aspects of being a major league manager I am less sure about.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I suspect Yadi will ask for and receive a two year extension like Carp did which could result in Knizer being shipped out like Kelly.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, how soon do you predict this extension will occur? Molina still has almost two seasons remaining on his current contract.

On the other hand, Carpenter was in the last guaranteed year of his prior deal and is more than three years younger than Molina. I don’t consider the two situations to be that comparable.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Yadi in 2023 might need a walker to get to 1st base.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I predict Yadi’s extension will happen in the upcoming offseason or the early part of next season.

When he signed the current extension he was adamant about retiring after the contract expired. Since then I think he has backed off those comments.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for clarifying. A lot can happen in a year. But, hey, how about Wieters! 😉

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

“Yadi in 2023 might need a walker to get to 1st base.”

There are days when I think he needs one now. On double plays it is not good when, on the throw to 1B, Yadi is not even in the picture yet. But he does hustle at times when he thinks there is a chance. Whatever.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

It will be sad day for me when Yadi retires. He’s definitely not what he used to be, but he’s still good enough for me. And him in his prime was a sight to behold.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Was thinking about Wieters in last night’s game against the Mets where we needed to get a run in form third and less than two out, and failed a couple of times. I was thinking that Shildt should have brought Weiters up in one of those situations.

His value as a pinch-hitter could be real good. I wonder if management would consider cutting back to 12 pitchers, and bringing in a third catcher, making Wieters more useful.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years