Who has improved their stock the most

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Who has improved their stock the most

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 14NyquisT 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

During this spring training.

Possibly Hudson and O’Neill

or Edmond and Carlson

Wonder who has stood out for Brian in the minor league camp. Particularly those who have surpassed his expectations.

dac8b9
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a good question and something I’ve been wondering about. For pitchers, I would argue Hudson and it’s not close. While I think it would have been unlikely and unwise, there was a chance Hudson could have become pigeonholed as a reliever in the near term with a bad spring. Instead, he grabbed the fifth starter spot and managed to improve his strikeout rate and cut down on the walks. Second pitcher on the list would be Reyes, who was dominating at times and managed to stay healthy and meet the requirements of the team to break camp with the big league club. Third would be Helsley, who had enough good moments and impressive enough stuff to leave a good impression on Shildt and Maddux. The last pitcher who really helped himself was probably Woodford.

As for hitters, maybe the guy who raised his stock the most was Carlson. While he didn’t dominate offensively, he also didn’t look out of place, which is remarkable given his age and experience level. He also really shined defensively at multiple spots. O’Neil played well enough that they couldn’t justify leaving him in Memphis to start the year and seems to have made some strides in pitch recognition, which is huge. I think Edman solidified himself as a bench option for 2020. Arozarena at least distinguished himself from Adolis Garcia, though he still seems more like a fourth outfielder to me. Lane Thomas probably did enough to be the first Memphis outfielder who would get a callup due to injury. It sounds like Montero did well enough on the backfields to start the season at Springfield.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For pitchers it has to be Hudson. No one else is anywhere close. He’s being talked about as having number one stuff. With Reyes injury history it’s hard for me to rank him.‘Let’s just wait and see’ is the way I feel about Reyes. But I’m sure pulling for him along with the rest of Cardinal Nation. Woodford was a surprise this spring, and I’ll say he is my second pick for raising his stock. Waino’s stock was zero coming into this year. But he did get a lot of outs, so he’s my third pick.

For hitters I think Edman most improved his stock by far. I don’t think he’ll make the final cut. But if hits at Memphis again this year like he did last year and like he did this spring, I think they’ll find a way to bring him up before the All Star break, maybe sooner. Next I would agree it’s O’Neill mainly because he didn’t strikeout nearly as much as expected based on his past performance. I agree that Arozerena greatly improved his stock, and he’s my third, also.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would also like to hear from those lucky enough to go to spring training. Particularly about their impressions of minor league players from the back fields.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ps…. Hudson #2 beat out Gant for the spot opened by the injury to CMartinez. But Woodford#18 raised his stock the most by showing that he could anchor the top spot at MEM along with Helsley. This after a somewhat poor showing in ’18 where his stock fell. I think he reversed that which is exactly what he needed to do.

#8 Carlson is already a top 10 prospect but could move up higher. With Reyes, Hudson and O’Neill soon to come off the board, Carlson could find himself in the top four.

Other prospects that should move up are #18 Edman who could have muscled his way past a couple of our middle infielders players. Of course he’ll need to continue his progress at MEM and if so he possibly will find his way to the top-10 (new territory for him).

Schrock#24 should reverse the fall he took due to a disappointing ’18. He could find his way back into the top 20…. even top 15 with a fast start at MEM where he’ll be fighting for playing time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years