When Musial Did NOT Wear No. 36 – Or Did He?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum When Musial Did NOT Wear No. 36 – Or Did He?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting story and a good read. I hope you are able to finally solve the mystery.

One thing that stood out to me was the number of affiliates mentioned. Was this in the era when the Cardinals had many many more minor league affiliates than they do now, thanks to Branch Rickey?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for reading and commenting.

The peak was just before World War II and if I recall correctly, the Cards had 42 minor league affiliates. They ramped up again after the War, but not to the prior extent.

Participant

Free

i enjoyed your story about the uniform. i think its going to be really hard to find the truth but maybe you will. look forward to reading more.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Back in the ‘40s and in to the early ‘50s most teams had a ton of affiliates. To be one of the 400 major leaguers was truly beating some very long odds.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

A fascinating story keeps going. As a side note, I have a ’48 Bowman Musial rookie. That is a nice card to have. Ironic that it is card #36.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Certainly Brian has come to the enthusiastic recognition that there is a book in all of this. Maybe even a movie. This project just isn’t a movie about baseball. It is my hope that Brian has the desire to steer this story in the direction that it needs to go?

Participant

Free

Thanks for this great article and research Brian. Have you considered prison baseball teams?

Some are named the Cardinals, I guess, and perhaps they could receive old uniforms?

McLain

Or how about overseas teams, like the Lara Cardinals in Venezuaela?

Lara

These links are presented as proof of concept only, not real research.

Participant

Free

Or what about Negro Leagues, like the Muskogee Cardinals?

Participant

Free

I suppose then if any of these are possible, that the Musial uni was used as a 36 “somewhere” before it was given to Chalifoux .

Participant

Free

Interestingly, the Venezuela team started in 1942. Maybe they asked the Cardinals for old uniforms?
    Teams started in 1942

Then there is Allentown in 1944, and Omaha in 1947.

What about Brazle, who wore number 36 in 1946?
    Uniforms with 36

Participant

Free

Or what about military baseball in England, in 1942?

Baseball in Wartime

Although no formal military league existed in Britain in 1942, the foundations had been set for the future and the year ended with an elaborate “American Games Day” on October 31, in Glasgow, Scotland. The Glasgow Herald proudly reported, “The gridiron and the diamond will come to Hampden Park today, when a medley of American games will be played by teams from the US forces. There is to be a quarter of football, a five inning game of baseball, and a softball match.” Hollywood actor Edward G Robinson, who was touring American military camps in the British Isles, was among 29,750 spectators who packed into the Hampden Park soccer stadium. Each sport adopted popular team names, and the 1942 World Series contenders – the Yankees and Cardinals – were used by the baseball teams.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years