What To Do With Rosenthal?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What To Do With Rosenthal?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar thejager 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Any ideas posters? He struggles about every time he takes the mound nowadays. He is an accident waiting to happen. And to a large extent this has been going on for his entire career.

Do we need to convert him to being a starter? I thought he always said that’s what he wants to do.

Is it time to consider trading him?

Do we send him to Memphis to try and right the ship?

Or do we continue to just keep our fingers crossed?

r/Rat

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

For now, it is going to be trial and error. Since he is so unpredictable, you gotta use him and hope for the dominant version, the Dr. Jeykll Rosenthal. But you keep a guy ready in case you get the Mr. Hyde version.

If he never does settle in to one or the other, then he becomes a middle inning guy, who gets shopped around. The trouble with trading him though, is our biggest need is bullpen help so we might send him somewhere for another team’s bullpen enigma.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You keep pitching him. He has struggled before and come out of it.

We didn’t give up onCecil and he is doing great right now.

Maybe rosy isn’t the closer but he needs to pitch to get right. So he will.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ryan Franklin and Mitchell Boggs were two pretty good closers for awhile. Then, they self-destructed, never to return to form. Hope that’s not happening to Rosenthal.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Have a beer… Not much else we can do unless we deal him right now.

Maybe next year when we call up more young arms.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

You realize that has things now stand, Rosie will take up about $10 million in payroll next year and be the presumptive closer.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… Which leaves us not really any worse off than now.

Hey, im the guy saying dump like 8 guys and rosie was on the list lol… Our roster needs a refresh and like you said… Contract issues.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IF we trade Rosy and Oh leaves or is traded…arent we just going to end up having to overpay for another closer? Melancon was supposed to fix everything for the Giants and he flamed out so far in SF…

Rosy is wobbly at times, but at least he is a known quantity…i’d hate to go out and overpay for someone who turns out to be nothing…i’d rather pay 10million and know that we have a guy that when right is dominant..and when not can be frustrating, but he still bounces back…

the guys on the market we could choose from have all had their issues…and depending on Reyes to come back and be the best closer in the world right away is not a good tactic IMO

i’d rather not send off Rosy (unless we get something awesome like Robles level talent)…give him one more shot at the closer role, then convert a couple starters to the relieving roles and see who emerges on a one inning basis… Marco, Alcantara, Hudson, Fernandez, maybe even Wacha…all could be dominant closers

not to mention Alex Reyes will be back next year, and i believe we won’t be throwing him into the starting role right away…a year in the pen as setup man..and closer if Rosy fails…is a pretty good option…his stamina will be an issue and they wont want to put innings on that arm right away….and it’s not like he had the greatest command anyways

Convert Alcantara and Marco
    Oh leaves or is traded…
    Reyes comes back in pen
    Weaver/Lyons/Flaherty battle for the #5 spot

a pen of potentially:
    Rosy, Reyes, Cecil, Kevin, Bowman at the core….with Alcantara, Marco, Brebbia, Tuivalala, Mayers

that’s pretty good..and pretty young

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But wait let’s not change anything………LMAO…….This hard charging bunch of underperforming guys are only a little bit out from the Brewers and Cubbies.Sarcasm meter overloading.Sorry but I just don’t see a realistic contender with the team as it is now.Wacha has had a couple of good starts and then Rosey and OH tank.All the parts are still not all working at the same time.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Maybe the All Star Break will do this team a lot of good. Maybe things will turn around the 2nd half and people will start to perform more in line with their career norms.

If so, we still have a chance at the division unless the Cubs all of a sudden take off.

r/Rat

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I watched the Brewers playing the Orioles today on TV. The Brewers are young, talented, and they’re playing like they’re hungry and want to win.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

we barely have to play better than we are now to win the division…we are without Wong, Dia, Fowler…3 starters for the team…the youth is providing a spark, that’s good…but it will come down to the veterans coming back healthy and returning to their averages for us to to really make a move

you win 2 series against 2 of the top 4 teams in the NL without several players playing well and without some even active

give them some credit folks…

Brewers know they probably need a starter to actually make any noise…and probably even hold onto the Division…they are hungry and believe right now because they are at the top…the Reds had all sorts of swagger early on too…I think the Brewers have more staying power, but if the cubs Bucs or Cardinals make a move or two to fix the problems i dont see how the BRewers will hold up…even this last week the Brewers have been pretty shaky

the cubs are flailing all over the place…at first it was just their rotation…but now they have some serious concerns about their lineup…if they can get Heyward and Schwarber back they will be fine…btu Zobrist is showing his age…and Russell is definitely not doing well

the bucs are getting back Marte and Cervelli…that is boon to their lineup which already has some good players…bullpen seem shaky to me and their starters are underwhelming but have big upside..

Reds have no starting pitching…dont want to play them regardless as their lineup is scary..

Cardinals…might need a bullpen arm..or someone to step up and take hold of the bullpen…they could use a middle order hitter…starting pitching seems to be good enough to compete to the end…. every team has a bad run through their starters from time to time…same goes for the bullpen..

this Cardinals team has already how it can go through bad times and then find a way to get back in it…

the wild Card is pointless to hope for….and no one wants to win the wild card anyways…we have beat good teams with less than our full strength and still yet to have everyone clicking on all cylinders…

a few smart moves could be really nice to solidify the team and get us into the playoffs…and you dont have to beat another teams Ace (Scherzer) more than maybe 2 times…and even then you dont have to beat them any times if you win the others…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years