What happens if there is a 3-way tie for WC2?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What happens if there is a 3-way tie for WC2?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

We know from 2011 that a two way tie leads to a one-game play-off.

We beat Atlanta in a one game play off in 2011 to win the WC2 spot….

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great question, Z. I’ve wondered that before myself. I would think that it would be decided by head to head to head play.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pretty sure they still play games to determine it, even if there’s a 4-way tie for the 2nd wild card spot. Tiebreakers would be used to determine who gets home field, and who would get a “bye” if there was a 3-way tie.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

That would really be wild wouldn’t it? It would basically turn into a tournament format. A real “wild card” !

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Wooster you may be on to something.

IF they just HAVE to expand the playoffs let it be a 4 team single elimination ‘tournament’ in each league for the WC2 spot THEN let the WC1 v WC2 be at least a 3 game series.

The tournament games could even be played at a single location with ticket packages. 3 games for each league – 6 game package.

Would make a fun and entertaining event instead of the current 1 game WC1 v WC2 letdown….

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

New York, Toronto, and Boston are in a 3-way tie for two WC spots in the AL. There are currently no teams in contention for a WC in the AL Central and the AL West.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Really rooting for Toronto. They have some super interesting talents. After the cubbies, I always next check the Jays box score in the morning paper. I’d love to have Dante’s kid wearing Cardinal red. I haven’t seen Biggio’s lad listed lately. He must be dinged up.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2021 N.L. post season schedule goes like this: Regular season ends Oct.3, Oct. 4 is designated for any tie breakers needed, Division series games begin Oct. 7.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Here are the tiebreaking rules and playoff format:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I’ve got a call into the Commissioner’s office to try to sell the 4 team mini-tournament to fill the WC2 spot.

I’m keeping my phone with me at all times as I’m sure he’ll return the call soon…….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.