Waivers vs DFA’d

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Waivers vs DFA’d

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What’s the difference between being put on Waivers and being DFA’d?

r/Esteemed Rat

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Cots Baseball Contracts

Click on “transaction glossary”

Really helpful glossary

ZTR
    Participant

Free

When a player is waived the team and staff line up to wave goodbye as the player leaves the team facility.

When a player is DFA’d it means he has Done Effed up Again and there is no assembly to see them off.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

LOL ZTR !

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody got an answer for me yet?

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Designated for Assignment (DFA)
    A player designated for assignment is removed from his club’s 40-man roster and, within the next seven days, traded, released or, if he clears waivers, assigned to the minor leagues. A club may not designate a player for assignment if the corresponding transaction is to recall a player on optional assignment.

Waivers
    A waiver is permission from other clubs to trade or assign a Major League player’s contract. A waiver request is filed through the Commissioner’s Office and granted for a limited time period. There are four types of waivers: 1) unconditional release waivers, 2) outright waivers, 3) optional waivers, and 4) trade assignment waivers.

You can go here for all your definition needs

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/transactions-glossary/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Google can be your friend…

I also provide some DFA definition in every relevant article here, such as the one about McFarland the other day, which is on the front page, free for all who will read it.

“Designated for assignment means that the Cardinals have seven days to trade, waive or release McFarland. As a result, a 40-man roster spot has been freed up.”

Cardinals Cut Reliever T.J. McFarland

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Until recently the month of August is when most waivers were done but I think that was done away with. There used to be two deadlines, the trade deadline on July 31 and the waiver deadline on August 31. Now there is just the trade deadline. But I imagine August 31 still serves as the deadline for your postseason roster.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, the most common trade waivers in August were revocable, but they are no longer used. The July trade deadline is a firm deadline. Outright waivers and release waivers remain as always.

Yes, August 31 is the postseason deadline, but there are ways around that later. (by replacing an injured player)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.