Wainwright doctoring baseballs? – MLB rules change

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright doctoring baseballs? – MLB rules change

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Can you give us some backstory? Who is this guy? Why would Waino be sending him info on doctored baseballs?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess you have to say something when you get caught. Cheating wasn’t helping so I gave it up is as good as anything.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sheesh, sort of a reverse ‘roids deal, where the pitchers now have the upper hand.

I see a lot of guys besides our players who swing at pitches way out of the zone, especially down and away. I just don’t get why guys seem to swing at those pitches so much, but maybe they just have incredible movement. From the TV angle they look to be heading out of the zone from the start, which is why I don’t get that get so many swings. But maybe it is much closer than it looks, and then darts away over the last 10 feet or so.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

are the suspensions the same if you use a domestic substance instead?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The suspensions are paid suspensions, good grief. But the teams can’t replace the players on suspension so they would have to go shorthanded.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So they get paid vacation.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

From the TV angle they look to be heading out of the zone from the start, which is why I don’t get that get so many swings.

Mike, I feel the same as you and don’t get all the crazy swings, but TV does have muting effect on the awesomeness of great athletes. You just don’t understand the speed and power of a guy like Adrian Peterson until you are field level and watch him live as he trucks a DB and then runs away from the field. Same with watching pro tennis players from courtside as they pound and carve the ball with such ease. For that matter, it’s the same with seeing any run-of-the-mill college pitcher fire 90+ mph fastballs while watching from near the dugout or home plate. TV just has a way of making it look too normal.

1982 willie
    Participant

When balls are coming in at around a 100 or you have to guard against it, they only have a split second to decide unless they are guess swinging. Having this advantage with this stuff is just double whammy. Ten games isn’t enough especially if you are paying them.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is interesting that MLB pitchers can get paid to cheat while milb pitchers are trying to survive on bologna sandwiches. What a system.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Hey gscottar, I remember when I was young and eating a toasted fried bologna sandwich thinking this is pretty darn good.

For some reason, your post made me think of Roger Waters telling Mark Zuckerberg to F off recently and refusing to sell rights to use a song in an ad because Facebook is trying “to take over absolutely everything.” It was a funny and potty-mouthed take, but a little ironic though, given Waters and PF are one of the wealthiest groups ever.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When my kids were little they talked my wife into making bologna lasagna, which they loved. It was revolting.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

So then bling I wonder if some pitchers who needed to go on the injured list could use that to their advantage, get suspended for 10 games and give them time to heal and such…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know Logan, but the perp gets 10 days paid vacation and the team cannot replace him on the roster. In other words the team gets penalized rather than the perp. Its absurd.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Union did not agree to players being docked their salaries so MLB reverted to what they had power to enact without consent.

(Editorial comment. The two sides cannot agree on anything, so how in the world will they negotiate a new CBA by December?)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The following is a post by mudville that seems better suited for this thread.

There’s an article in The Athletic today about the use of sticky substances by pitchers. Manfred says that the crackdown has started. Scherzer got checked twice last night after Joe Girardi complained and that caused quite a stir even though nothing was found on Scherzer. You would expect more pitchers getting checked tonight and beyond. All I can say is that if spin rates do not go back to where they were, then the owners are enabling the use of sticky stuff, and the players are still using it, and we, the fans, are being made fools of so others can profit.

Manfred was being interviewed by a reporter for The Athletic, Brittany Ghiroli. One of her questions was

‘Do you think this has become too much of a spectacle? We know guys are tested for steroids but don’t watch them pee in a cup, for example. Is there any thought to not televising every check?’.

So MLB doesn’t watch players ‘pee in a cup’? What does that tell you? It pretty much guarantees that steroids are far from eliminated from the game, and that owners are enabling the use of steroids, and that we have been propagandized by every liar that has said the phrase ‘back in the steroid era’ or ‘MLB has testing now. Steroids are no longer being used by players’. There are tens, and often times hundreds, of millions of dollars at stake for players and owners alike in MLB. This does in no way legitimize the shameless cheating that is going on by players and owners.

Get the sticky stuff and steroids out of the game, and put everybody on equal ground so that it is a fair baseball game. Then, let’s just see what the kids can do.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tommy Pham quote in the above article: “I wish MLB hardened it and took away their pay too.”

Do we assume he is unaware that that it is the MLBPA that will not allow it? Or, do we assume that but do actually know? You would think the interviewer would have asked Tommy how MLB was supposed to ‘harden it’ if the union would not agree to take away the pay.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.