Wainwright and Cardinals agree to terms on 2022 contract

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright and Cardinals agree to terms on 2022 contract

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    forsch31
    Participant

Free

According to reports, Goold is reporting that the Cardinals and Waino have agreed to terms on a 2022 contract.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Press conference at the top of the hour.

Good that this is happening early, but the only question was “when?”. Certainly, not “if”. Similar to the Arenado news earlier this week that excited only those not following the team.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bigger number than I expected but he has been our ace.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wasn’t expecting anything close to $15 Million. Well worth it if he has another 200+ innings, 17 wins season.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino deserved that number since what they paid him this year was a joke based on his value. I don’t care if he gets injured in March and can’t pitch, he’s more than earned that money while some currently on the team haven’t.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino is a legend and I hope he pitches great next year as well. I know the money is going toward some great causes, so I’m happy he’s getting paid well. Hopefully that’s a sign that the FO is willing to spend to a more normal level for 2022 as well to upgrade the team.

14NyquisT
    Participant

This should allow Adam to put a pool in the backyard. Good for him…. he has earned it.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sweet comment, NyQuist! Next year will be fun too, with some of our greats hanging them up at season’s end. Maybe Albert returns to the Redbird fold. And rumors still persist of Wade Matthew “Lucky” LeBlanc calling it a career at 2022’s conclusion. Picture this…….and if the mere thought doesn’t get you all warm and fuzzy inside, please check your pulse to see if you’re still with us……Waino, Yadi, “Lucky” LeBlanc and Albert……all riding off into a bright orange sunset together….. with WS trophy in tow.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nostalgia and violins aside, $17.5 million guaranteed to a 40 year old guy is a big risk. Hopefully it pays off. At this point, though, the odds are against him holding up well all year and producing another 200 inning 17 win season. I can think of it as making good on the steal we got this past season. But it should be remembered we took a risk there too.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Since it only 1 year and $17.5 million I think that it is a great deal with minimal risk. Waino seems to have finally put his injuries behind him and put up some good pitching numbers.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I love Waino, but let’s not pretend that his extension from 2014-18 wasn’t a financial loss for the team. It evened out the last couple years and he’s getting a good market rate. Like I said, I’m glad because I know he’ll spend it on charitable things.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They also got like $200M in excess value out of his first contract extension.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Waino is broadcasting the Sox-Astros game tonight and he’s really darn good. Anyone else watching this never ending marathon?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years