Wainwright to DL (and Miller)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright to DL (and Miller)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

Ok, now that you are as startled as I was when I read on mlb traderumors, Adam is out as precautionary as a family member had exposure to covid. Should start the monday in mets series. Miller out with foot blisters. Bader and Whitley up

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not cool. I’m glad it’s not an injury, though.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hooray Bader’s back. Now what?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am guessing this means Bader takes over in center and Williams moves out of the starting line up?

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

That’s what I’m hoping. As much as Bader struggles he is still better than Williams.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As much as Bader struggles he is still better than Williams

His defense is obviously much better. Bader, Carlson and O’Neill should be a solid defensive outfield.

Offensively, it is mostly a wash I think. .200ish with 30%ish K rate. Bader less prone to tootblans.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader has been above average offensively in 2 of his 3 full seasons. He’s not a huge upgrade necessarily, as he’ll be hitting in the 7 or 8 hole. I still think he’s at least a 10% upgrade, maybe 20% with the bat over Williams (80 wRC+ to 90-95). But his defense will be a big upgrade as it will move Carlson to a position where he’ll be plus instead of below average.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The possible eventual platooning of Bader will be interesting, and informative. There will have to be enough of an offensive upgrade vs righties to offset any decline in overall outfield defense. This will involve some evaluation which we can pick up on.

Williams is the LH bat that presents itself, but he has sucked worse against righties so far this year. Not sure about his MiLB platoon split. Putting Williams in RF would require Carlson to shift to CF, likely a downgrade at both positions. How does that shake out in the estimation of the Cardinal headpieces? Is there enough offensive gain in this scenario?

Next might be Edman to RF and Carlson to CF, with Sosa or Carp to 2B. Another series of evaluations to be made and observed by us.

And there is Thomas, who may or may not have been permanently tossed into the chum bucket. All told, a very nice subplot to keep an eye on as the season progresses.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another subplot is what happens with Andrew Miller. A situation not unlike the Carp situation. It is rather clear that neither will return to former glory.

Miller is owed $12M this year compared to Carp’s $18M. Miller’s injury riddled and sub-par 2018 fell between his years of dominance and the Cardinals signing him, so the contract was recognized as a risk at the time. Will the Card’s be more willing to eat it than in the case of Carp, who was coming off another in an unbroken string of good seasons when he was signed? Hopefully we will not go all year with two slots on the active roster filled by money guys who contribute little, and may do more harm than good. Miller not being a lifer also factors in. But it is not my $12M.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Foot blisters. Someone deserves points for creativity, but it did get the desired outcome.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Getting Bader back is a big plus for this team. Our OF defense is now elite.

While Miller has had some good moments here the majority of his time in St. Louis has been a disappointment in my opinion. In 2016 he was the one of the most dominant relievers in the game but there has been a pretty steep decline since then. We acquired him a few years too late.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Who starts on Sunday… Woodford.? He had a very good spring, and did well in MLB this year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Injury updates on many players included.

Cardinals Activate Wainwright, Option out Dean

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years