Wacha, next year and beyond

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wacha, next year and beyond

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Now I know there is no way we offer him the qualifying deal…but damn. He has been really great these last 2 months. If he is really back to normal I’d love to see him back. He has velocity and command. 2/16 total+ 10m team option? That would be super cheap if he is back to his capabilities

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

August ERA: 4.81 in five starts
    Sept ERA: 1.80, but averaging less than 4 IP per start, 4.2 K per nine

Time to move on…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with Brian. It’s a shame, but Wacha just isn’t dependable enough for a contending team to count on. Let a team like the Royals, Tigers, Pirates or Marlins take their chances with him. I’d expect him to sign a 1-2 year deal this offseason for maybe $4-5M per year.

Waino is the guy that the conversation around re-signing should revolve. He’s been a good #5 starter and is giving us innings that we have desperately needed. I’m not sure what that deal looks like but I’d like to see it happen.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wacha has always been one of my favorite Cardinals, but realistically there is no way the club will keep him. I can see him signing somewhere and having a couple of good years – maybe sort of Lance Lynn-ish. The Rockies are desperate for pitching and might give him a decent 2 year deal. If he were to sign out here he would instantly become my favorite Rockie.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that Wacha should go and I also agree that I hope Waino will return.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Even if Waino hangs it up after this year, Wacha is going to a rebuilding team to try and build his value back up. The Marlins, Mariners, Royals, Tigers, Blue Jays, Pirates are more than likely the team he ends up on.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

You folks wouldn’t take him back as a #5 type starter?

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I would gladly offer him Waino’s current deal.
    What ever happened to the days when the club and player agreed not to accept the qualifying offer. It seems we pulled that two or three times.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

It is time to move on from Wacha. He has pitched better in the 2nd half but he is not going very far in his starts. In his last 8 starts he has an ERA of 2.52 but he has averaged about 4 1/3 innings pitched per start. We need to get someone to eat innings.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Perhaps one of the reasons he’s not gone long in some starts is because of the importance of the game. And game conditions sort of dictated a pinch-hitter for him early on.

Possible?

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Doubtful Rat, for example, Helsley could go out for 4 innings and put up equal or better numbers I’d guess.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Part of the reason Wacha hasn’t gone longer in games is because Shildt is just plain quick on the trigger. I’ve never ever seen an MLB manager pull pitchers as fast and as often as Shildt, and get away with it. Just an opinion, but I think he gets away with it mostly because he’s got the the pitchers believing that they’re a team of pitchers whose job it is to back each other up, rather than a bullpen of individuals whose job it is to be the guy to save the day for the team.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Mud, also the Cardinals team (in my recollection) hasn’t ever had this solid of a BP as they do right now. Shildt doesn’t trust Wacha after the 2nd time through the order and that’s not going to change and he knows he has the BP to fall back on.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Bikemike…. what you said. 100%

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I am no huge fan of Wacha. He’s been victimized by the long ball and he’s had some control issues. These are not encouraging things you want to see n your walk year.

In regards to Waino and Wacha. If one retires and the other is let go then who’s replacing them? Martinez and,,,,

There would be a huge veteran void in the rotation if we lost both no doubt.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m thinking that a big part of the reason that this bullpen is so good is because the way they’re being handled is bringing out the best in them. I don’t think the Cardinals organization is just better than every other team at finding good pitchers.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years