Trout to set the real contract record

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trout to set the real contract record

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 1 month ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Hubbada Hubbada Hubbada! That’s a whole lot of money!!!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When you look at it this way, Trout probably should have gotten even more.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

But the owners are cheap!!

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Problem is team never wins anything at all

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

This is well undershooting his actual value, but it’s a pretty penny for Trout and sets him up to be a career Angel. As much as I dislike them for the Pujols deal, it’s good business for them.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    But the owners are cheap!!

I was waiting for someone to trot this out there.

Nobody said the superstars weren’t getting paid. It is the mid-level players, especially those over 30, who are getting squeezed out.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good for Trout.Great player.Like others said…now Moreno needs to work on improving his pitching staff.They do have some young arms with potential but really lack established proven starters.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nobody said the superstars weren’t getting paid. It is the mid-level players, especially those over 30, who are getting squeezed out.

I am sorry but that is just not accurate. Before Harper and Machado signed there were plenty of writers using them as examples of how the owners were now cheap.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am sure there were some who did that but I think the majority of the complaints about Harper and Machado were the slow pace of the negotiations and the fact so few teams were involved. As we have debated there were many factors for that, including agents, tanking, and a defacto salary cap with the CBT.

Here is an interesting exchange from Goold’s chat yesterday:

Hi Derrick:

Kudos to you on your podcasts! Recently with Peter Gammons, you mentioned how it is unusual that fans tend to support MLB owners more than the players in labor/work stoppage issues. I’m curious to hear you elaborate on why you think this is the case. And, given the angst over the possibility of another work stoppage looming, what is it going to take for the two sides to come to an agreement on a new labor deal?

Thanks! Robert

It largely comes from siding with the billionaires over millionaires cliche. So, so, so often I receive complaints about how much players are paid, and rarely do I hear complaints about the owners who are willing to pay them this money, all while knowing that they’ll get plenty of revenue in return to make it worth their while. At it’s base line, money not paid to players and money not spent on baseball infrastructure — stadiums, scouting, player development — is money that goes to the owner. Therefore, if you have an issue with the millions the players make and wish that they made less, then you’re suggesting that the owners should make more money. Take home more revenues. The savings aren’t going to go to ticket prices. That’s not going to happen. I just find it running counter somewhat to the culture. Consider all the big businesses we encounter on a daily basis and the workers they strip of salaries, or lay off, or don’t cover their medical benefits — and how often do you take the side of the big business over the little guy? Maybe it’s more and more in our culture, but it’s so often in baseball. And I get the little guy in some cases is making millions. Fine. But in this market the middle-class player is also getting squeezed out.

The reaction to Jack Flaherty’s situation is an example. I saw some hand-wringing about how much the Cardinals were paying him — when they got a $10,000 rebate on his salary. Is that really going to make a dent in their revenue this season? Really? Is that going to allow them to rehire a recent firing or give a scout a $10,000 raise because Flaherty isn’t getting it? No, that is $10,000 not spent. And to not take the players side in that seems off to me.

There is money flowing into the game. All parties should share in the flood. But especially the ones that make the product go, that draw you to the ballpark, that put up the numbers.

Owners are important, no doubt. Some run in the red to operate a team; not all do. But I don’t remember the last owner baseball card my son came home with, or the last owner jersey I saw sold at a team store. Just seems odd that in some corners the default is to wonder why the players make millions and not why the owners make more millions.

Derrick Goold

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is funny as I did not even need to read it, as I was sitting a few cubicles away when he was crafting it. It led to a short discussion between he, Jen L. and me. I added that the idea that the $10K penalty might be a stick against others was an archaic thought (if that was their motivation).

Fortunately, more and more fans think for themselves, sorting through the issues, and do not blindly support one side or the other.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Mike Trout enjoys just average health over the remainder of his career, this new contract will generate more surplus value for the Angels than any contract has generated for any team in MLB history.

In short they’re paying for a 4-5 win player, and getting someone twice that good. This is an astonishingly fantastic bargain for the Angels, almost impossible to overstate. Like Brian, I’m glad that the Millville Meteor will spend his entire career with one team. But I think I just heard Marvin Miller flipping over in his grave.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months
    1982 willie
    Participant

Free

I would consider this a win for the angels if trout produces the same output over the next ten years on average as he has since coming in the league. yea trout will be very wealthy but its possible he could have been even more. but if hes happy, that’s all that matters. it kind of hurts baseball to a certain extent. having your big stars out there in the news during contract time can get your sport much needed play. the sad thing is that if the angels cant ever get it together, trout may never get to be the super star that his numbers show him to be. now personally ive watched him play some games and I haven’t really seen that greatness either but I know his numbers dictate otherwise though I don’t get into all the advanced metrics people use nowadays. but I don’t watch him every day so theres that. im glad hes getting a great contract.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The deal was well worth it for the Angels,and of course a nice little chunk of change for Mike “Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow” Trout (okay, we will just call him “Rainbow” Trout from now on).

And he is definitely all that his stats say he is. Whenever I have caught his act, which I do now and then when I am checking in on our old (literally) buddy Mr. Pujols, he (Rainbow) is doing one or two special things every game. The guy just seems to square up a ball that is down and in or up and away where you think “how could he hit a pitch like that so hard?”

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years