Top Shortstop Prospects

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Top Shortstop Prospects

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar CariocaCardinal 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do we have anyone with both the glove and bat to become a top shortstop. Who has the best chance. Many of there guys play other positions and few are full time shortstops.

Memphis – Wilfredo Tovar, Edmondo Sosa, Alex Mejia

Springfield – Tommy Edman, Ramon Urias (probably should have listed him at 2b)

Palm Beach – Kramer Robertson

Peoria – Rayder Ascanio

State College – Delvin Perez

Johnson City – Michael Perri, Moises Castillo

GCL Cardinals – Mateo Gil

DSL Cardinals – Pablo Gomez, Ramon Mendoza, Franklin Soto, Yowelfy Rosario

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Avatar SoonerinNC.
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman has that utility guy look…can play multiple positions and hits relatively well as a switch hitter. I’d probably put him #1. Sosa has had a few seasons to get into a groove and I’m not sure if he’ll stick with the club after this year, but you’d think he could be a backup SS. So he’s #2. Perez just can’t seem to hit, but the glove might get him to the big leagues if he can keep the bat above replacement level. So he’s #3. I’d put Gil at 4 and Robertson at 5. The rest are pure filler or too young for me to know anything about.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Brutal group of players here compared to what we thought a year or two ago.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pads, ain’t that the truth! If it wasn’t for DeJong overachieving and becoming a starting MLB regular SS, things would be bleaker.

Without DeJong the organization would have had to trade even more of its prospects to obtain a viable MLB SS. That would have made the affiliates even weaker, and dropping it even farther down the rankings.

On that note, O’Neill (#2-TCN) came off the prospect list yesterday, and with Hudson #3 and Poncedeleon (#18) already on the Cardinal’s roster, the system looks worse.

So, of this batch of SSs, right now, I don’t see anyone contributing much, if any, at all. If I had to choose one it would be Sosa (#26), but that’s a long shot.

Edman (#25) could surprise us. Robertson has faded.

Perez (#34) may still have some potential left, but he already has a lot of baggage and hasn’t been able to hit hardly at all. Gil (HM) and Perri haven’t impressed much but they too are raw and light years. away.

1.Sosa
    2.Edman
    3.Perez
    4.Gil
    5.Perri

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Robertson has faded? He is in his first full season and at high A since the beginning of the season. He struggled initially in a pitchers league. .282 avg and .765 OPS in the second half. ,386 second half OBP. I’ll take that in the FSL anyday. I am assuming his glove still plays at SS.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years