Top 50 prospect list (yes, there are Cards alright)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Top 50 prospect list (yes, there are Cards alright)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

After a thoroughly demoralizing braindead sweep featuring Drew VerHagen at closer and Packy Naughton masquerading as a major league starter, I needed some reason for good cheer. So here’s an update of the overall top 50 position player prospects in all the minors. (Not truly an update, as I made no offseason list. But anyway, here goes.) Sorry I didn’t also list pitchers, but pitchers are harder and I am lazy.

1. Gunnar Henderson
    2. Adley Rutschman
    3. Ezequiel Tovar
    4. Jordan Walker
    5. Corbin Carroll
    6. Edwin Arroyo
    7. Masyn Winn
    8. Jordan Lawler
    9. Riley Greene
    10. Marcelo Mayer
    11. Anthony Volpe
    12. Gabriel Moreno
    13. Liover Peguero
    14. Nolan Gorman
    15. Luisangel Acuna
    16. Marco Luciano
    17. Jackson Chourio
    18. Zac Veen
    19. Francisco Alvarez
    20. Evan Carter
    21. Noelvi Marte
    22. James Wood
    23. C.J. Abrams
    24. Alek Thomas
    25. Ivan Herrera
    26. Drew Romo
    27. M.J. Melendez
    28. Pete Crow-Armstrong
    29. Diego Cartaya
    30. Oneil Cruz
    31. Brennen Davis
    32. Robert Hassell 3
    33. Henry Davis
    34. Vinnie Pasquantino
    35. George Valera
    36. Tristan Casas
    37. Royce Lewis
    38. Miguel Vargas
    39. Luis Campusano
    40. Carson Williams
    41. Emmanuel Rodriguez
    42. Orelvis Martinez
    43. Josh Jung
    44. Harry Ford
    45. Brett Baty
    46. Darell Hernaiz
    47. Alec Burleson
    48. Ronny Mauricio
    49. Nick Yorke
    50. Kahlil Watson

I apologize for any misspellings, and will try to respond promptly to any questions or comments. Feel free to criticize, because any list that can’t withstand argumentation isn’t worth its salt.

bccran
    Participant

Thanks, Bob. Nice to see Burly on your list.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

What was your eligibility criteria? I have Donovan ahead of Burlson though he will.soon lose eligibility.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Thanks for the responses, gents.

I wasn’t sure Burly would make the list, cranny, until I began piecing it together. But Alec makes it because he’s borderline dominating AAA at an age-appropriate level, and especially because he is hitting for excellent power without striking out much (just 13% entering play on Friday) — this makes his long-term offensive potential substantially more robust than if he had a merely average strikeout rate of 20-22%. His baserunning and defense don’t add anything, so I think Burly is likeliest to be a 1.5-to-2 WAR corner outfielder for a few years…but with the possibility of a 3-WAR season or two mixed in.

I see Donovan as more a top 150-200 overall prospect, CC, rather than top 75-80, which is roughly what’s needed to make a top 50 position player list. Brendan Donovan deserves a ton of credit for how he’s acquitted himself for the Redbirds. But he’s a 25 1/2-year-old with no set defensive position (and below average career minor league fielding numbers at the only two public sites, Baseball Prospectus and Clay Davenport), and no meaningful baserunning value. So even if he hits well, good-to-great bench guy would be his future, to me.

But I hasten to add that if he keeps hitting anything like he has so far under the Arch, and also did last year in the upper minors, then I’ve truly underestimated him and he’ll have to start at some position just to keep the bat in the lineup. Sorta like a utility version of Luke Voit. (I rip on Ollie Marmol a lot, for many reasons. However, I have to say he’s generally done a stellar job incorporating the younger players like Brendan into his lineups in situations where they have a good chance to succeed.)

bccran
    Participant

The things that sticks out about Donovan are his position versatility and his tenacity. Valuable guy to have on your team. Feisty and always seems to be in the thick of it.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Rob Rains article on Donovan

Good quotes from scouts and coaches.

Goldy:

“The results are great, but to see the work that goes into it to get them is what stands out,” Goldschmidt said. “There is a certain way he goes about his business, and that’s usually the way guys do it who have sustained success.

“It’s hard to make big changes in the big leagues. When guys get called up, if they have a hole in their game, it’s going to get exposed. He’s always asking questions. He listens, and he’s trying to find a way to get better.”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.