Tony Watson trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Tony Watson trade thread

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very good pitcher but is essentially a rental. I think he has a player option for 2020 but I doubt that he would opt in. I just don’t like rentals.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The advanced stat guru’s have numbers to show that lefty relievers do not make a big difference in winning or losing a ball game – the LOOGYs anyway. Basically the numbers show that there is not enough difference in success against lefty hitters by trying to match-up late in games.

The best approach is to have quality arms in your bullpen, regardless of them being a left or right hand pitcher.

With that, acquiring Watson is not a big difference maker in my opinion. Right now we look to be pretty good as constructed, but then everything has been clicking since the break. What I would focus on is acquiring a good left-handed starter, but would not gut the system to get one. I wish Gomber had been healthy this year. He might be just the guy to fill the bill.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Watson hasn’t been great against lefties this year but is he better than Webb or Mayers? The answer to me is definitely yes so I’m not totally against trading for him. If we are going for a rental I’d still rather target Smith but the cost for Watson will surely not be too painful. If we could clear a 40 man spot by trading Adolis Garcia or someone similar that would be a fine trade.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.