Tommy Edman

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    GameCard
    Participant

Free

Before the season started it was said many times on this board that he was a super-sub and not a starter. I said over and over that this was not true that he was not only an everyday player but a guy that made the team go. Well with 8 games remaining what I said certainly turned out to be true. Tommy has started 47 games(only Goldschmidt with 50 has played more) plus he has played 2B, SS(also something that was said he wouldn’t do), 3B, RF & LF.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good call. It was still all semantics. No one said that Tommy wasn’t going to play, it was just the name he would be called. He’s been about what we expected
    …average bat, average glove. He has made a few more errors than I would have expected, but he will be a solid utility player for the Cards for several years.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GameCard, how did you know in advance that the pandemic was coming and that it would force the NL to adopt the designated hitter this season? Amazing!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Tommy Edman has turned out to be a satisfactory player. I had hoped he would be a little more, both offensively and defensively, but he has done an acceptable job on an essentially mediocre team. Let’s hope he, and the Cardinals, can come back stronger in 2021 in a virus-free atmosphere, though I have doubts the pandemic will be over next year.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

My point was and is that he is and always has been a starter…end of point.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Edman is a solid player and would be a terrific role player if our lineup was better. As is he is sort of that anyway, but profiles more as a classic backup middle infielder IMHO.

He has come up with big hits at times as well. He would be a good trade chip as part of a deal for a legitimate slugger, but while he is with the club he does a great job.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

More nonsense! He is not a role at all but one of the best players that we have…a switch hitter with speed that can play six positions and he leads off or bats 2nd. Quit that role player or back-up junk. It is just stupid.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I will guarantee you that if there were no DH this year in the NL, Edman would have 10 less starts. Between Miller and Carpenter, they would have taken starts away from Edman. Also, Edman would not have 11 starts at SS if DeJong didn’t catch COVID.

6 starts at 2B, 13 at 3B, 11 at SS, 3 in LF, and 13 in RF. If the OFs were hitting better, he wouldn’t have so many starts out there either. That makes him a super-sub. Even Baseball Reference calls him a utility player.

He hasn’t hit anywhere close to as well as last year. His fielding has not been as sharp, either. I still like having him, though. He is a valuable player.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Just a bunch of if’s…means nothing. The point was again he is one of our best players and he is an everyday player. End of discussion.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Then that’s a sad statement that he is hitting below league average and not fielding very well and is one of our best players.

And all those ifs just go to show that he would not be starting as often if things went as planned.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

He would have always started.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

By the way, Tommy is hitting 25 pts above league average this year….269 League avg. .244.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman reminds me of Brock Holt, an all-star in 2015, and an extremely valuable super utility.

Even though Tommy doesn’t lead the club in GS at any single defensive position, he does lead the club in batting second in the order with 35 GS. He also has 11 GS at leadoff. Only Wong comes close with 39 GS at leadoff.

Batting first or second in front of the middle order bats, for any club, is a very valuable starter. His defensive versatility is simply an additional plus.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

His OPS isn’t above league average.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman is a starter. He leads the teams in AB’s.

2. Tommy Edman is an everyday player.

3. Tommy Edman is a utility player.

All of those things are true. They aren’t mutually exclusive. Like has been mentioned thousands of times he is our version of Ben Zobrist, which is a compliment. The Cubs don’t win the 2016 World Series without Zobrist.

Let’s move on.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Edman will be our starting second baseman next year and beyond. He’s better than Wong on offense and almost as good on defense. He’s also a little faster than Wong. I think they will trade Wong to save money

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mud said:

He’s better than Wong on offense

Seems to be – at least through about the first equivalent year of Edman’s career (503 career at-bats). But here is a caution. Both have declined at a comparable rate from last year to this.

Edman 121 OPS+ to 98
    Wong 107 OPS+ to 81

and almost as good on defense.

Uh, no, not correct.

He’s also a little faster than Wong.

Not sure about this, but not sure it matters. Both have good speed.

I think they will trade Wong to save money

They don’t have too much to trade other than Wong and Martinez. They are not going to pay free agent prices to get a left fielder so trading Wong would make sense. But I don’t think we should over-represent Edman. Wong has one exceptional tool – his defense – that increases his value. Edman is a solid all-around player. His defensive flexibility value is lost when he becomes the everyday starter at one position. Yet this season so far, Wong’s edge in bWAR is small – 1.0 to 0.9 for Edman.

P.S. If you tie Edman to second base next year, what do you do at third?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think 2019 is more representative of the value Wong will bring over the next couple of years, and 2020 is more representative of what Edman will bring.

But who knows, maybe it won’t work out that way. Still I am hesitant to move Kolten as he is the stabilizing force in the middle infield.

Tommy is a great player to have on the club. I like his versatility, and he has been more valuable than he might have been had Carpenter not been simply awful this year. Different topic, but Carp is going on two years now of being an albatross on the roster. His only real value is offense, as he is not good defensively and is not a particularly good base runner. And we now have his clone as well, who has been better (B Miller). Carp is a guy I would love to move, as I presume every other Cardinals fan would, but we’re stuck with him. Might need to make the bold move to cut him in ‘21 if anyone can step up and show they should be playing more regularly.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenter should just show some class and walk away. He’s already banked $69M. That ought to be enough to get by on. Accepting another $18.5M from the Cardinals organization and its fans for what he’s producing makes him out to be hardly more than a ………

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.