TLR to the White Sox

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TLR to the White Sox

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The deed is done. Another move I did not expect when the rumors first surfaced.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow, that’s a bit of a shock. At his age, you wouldn’t think he would want to come back to that daily grind. It will be interesting to see if he still holds sway over the players in today’s game like he did in his younger days.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just a hunch, but I bet his coaching staff won’t be confused with the Sunshine Boys.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Good for Tony! He is taking over a fantastic team. He has come full circle in his managerial career.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TLR is one of the keepers of Baseball’s Unwritten Rules…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry, but Molina is not co-managing material. Good with Latins, ok. Good with teammates, yes. Good with pitchers, you bet. Good with everything else involved in being a manager, maybe not.

Some people act like TLR was put in charge of Baseball Ops. That is Kenny Williams. Rick Hahn is GM under Williams. TLR is the field manager. It appears he will get to pick his coaches, but to think he will get to set the roster is quite a reach. And a player-coach would count as one of each.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Whoops!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A classic Tony-ism. Not quite on the same level as “Men not machines” and “Boy, I would love to manage against you!” (standard response to a stupid question).

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1321880037344378881

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

TLR’s unretirement has ruffled some feathers.

Participant

Free

On another note, I thought the purpose of baseball is to win and in order to win you need to score runs and in order to do that you need to hit pitches, especially bad pitches. I absolutely hate when players take 3-0 strikes center-center.

Participant

Free

Saw this going around on Twitter and thought I should share with those who don’t tweet like some of us. I’m a sucker for old tv game shows and I’ve never seen this before today. Now I really want to dig up the entire episode and give it a watch.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A treasure of a find, Black Hills! From youngest ML manager to (near) oldest. I’m trying to think which skippers were older than TLR. I would imagine the likes of Casey Stengel, Connie Mack, John McGraw, Gil Hodges and maybe an Early Weaver. Very cool seeing Nipsy Russell in that clip. He makes my Top 10 all time game show regular celebrity list, with notables such as Charles Nelson Riley, Richard Dawson, Betty White and the alluring Fannie Flagg.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think the BBWAA dude who votes on the Hall needs to stop ironing his undies. “Disturbing?” Get over it, man…

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Don’t forget Charlie Weaver Pug, on Hollywood Squares. Wasn’t he Sigourney Weaver’s grandfather?

Anyway, TLR is certainly taking a club on the rise, and coming full circle as was mentioned earlier in this thread. I don’t think he will have any trouble relating to the younger guys.

The Pale Hose are a shoe-in to make the playoffs in ‘21, barring a rash of injuries. It will be interesting to see how far Tony can take them in the post season.

Old managers? Let’s see, Mack and Stengel come to mind as Pugs mentioned. Gene Mauch managed for a long time. – one of those guys who went from a young skipper to an old one, similar to Tony. The Padres brought an elderly Jerry Coleman down from the radio booth one year to manage. Sparky was pretty old when he managed the Tigers, but maybe he just looked old due to the gray hair. Tony colors his so he hides his age a little.

I look for Tony to win a division next year. And if he takes the Sox all the way, it will be a one-and-done deal.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I saw results that showed both Mack and Stengel had terrible W-L records late. Of course, they had terrible teams, too.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Beautiful call with Charley Weaver, BicycleMike! Which of course, brings Paul Lynde to mind. Connie Mack was indeed the oldest skipper at the ripe old age of 87. Second eldest was Jack McKeon at 80, with the great Casey Stengel coming in to show at age 74. Looks like TLR will knock Casey out of the money and into the number 4 slot this coming Spring.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ooops…

Participant

Paid - Annual

The White Sox must have offered TLR a boatload of money in order for him to take on so much responsibility at his age. Good luck, Tony. Don’t forget where you parked your car. Can’t blame him for hitting the sauce. But getting behind the wheel afterward is definitely a no-no.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years