The Wildcard Game

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum The Wildcard Game

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

Is there any chance this ever becomes a 3 game set instead of a one off?

The WC2 spot is working as intended in keeping more teams ‘in the hunt’ to or almost to the end of the season. Stay at or just above .500 and most years you still have a chance.

The WC1 spot is pretty much out of reach and many more teams (and fans) would already have turned the page on 2021.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ZTR asked:

Is there any chance this ever becomes a 3 game set instead of a one off?

IF MLB has its way, it will. They want a return of the 16-team post-season from last year. That included best of three wild card series. It will probably be hammered out in the new CBA.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I’m torn on the issue of further expansion / watering down of the playoffs but I’m not a fan of 1 game ‘series’.

It’s fine to have a game 163 to settle a division champion or similar but WC1 vs. WC2 outta be best of 3?

P.$. I hate the DH.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea if we must have this abomination that is the wild card, I’d rather it not be a one off game.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Question. If Hudson comes back this month, would he be eligible for the post-season roster?

We are 1.5 games behind the Reds for the second WC slot and we have played 3 fewer games than them.

We have to pass the Padres. They are 1.0 games ahead of us and we have played 2 fewer than them.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t think Hudson would be available, Bling. Anyone heard of how “Lucky” LeBlanc is doing? If we are to make a serious run at this thing, we’re going to need a healthy LeBlanc on hand.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

The answer to your question Z is I hope not.

There are already too many playoff games. Teams should be required to win something to reach the post-season, not just slide in second or third.

It’s all just a money-grab anyway.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

bling, Hudson is eligible for post season rosters, regardless if he is activated or not in the regular season.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pugs, don’t count on Lucky. I read something about a week ago saying he had a bullpen session and didn’t recover very well. Shildt was not optimistic.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the news on “Lucky”, Euro….. albeit very bad news. But, if there’s one thing I’ve learned from following “Lucky” Leblanc’s career, it’s that you never count this man out. “Lucky” shall return.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

CiF, I agree. With three divisions I don’t mind a WC team to have 4 NL and 4 AL teams in.

WC2 (even though it led to the great run in 2011) just doesn’t work for me. .500 teams have no business competing for a post season spot in my opinion.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.