The Newbies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far this season, the Cards have had 13 players make their MLB debuts. This is mostly due to the staggering hurt COVID put on the roster. Here’s a place to share your thoughts on these guys and what you think of their time with the Cards so far. Is Carlson in over his head? Impressed with Oviedo or Woodford? See a future for Elledge or Kaminsky or Schrock? Let’s hear it!

The debutants are as follows (TCN rank noted):

#1 Dylan Carlson
    #9 Jake Woodford
    #16 Johan Oviedo
    #22 Kodi Whitley
    #34 Seth Elledge
    #46 John Nogowski
    #49 Max Schrock
    NR KK Kim*
    NR Nabil Crismatt
    NR Jesus CruzX
    NR Rob Kaminsky
    NR Roel Ramirez
    NR Ricardo Sanchez+

*-Was ranked by some outlets but not here or most.
    X-DFA
    +-Injured List

Participant

Free

IMHO Kim, Carlson, and Oviedo are keepers. Woodford and Elledge are strong maybes.
    Need to see more of Whitley and Nogowski.
    Kaminsky has an outside shot. Wouldn’t hold much hope for the others.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Kim, Carlson, Woodford, and Oviedo project to be big league contributors, if not more.

Schrock could be a decent big league utility guy.

Whitley, Elledge, and Nogowski all have potential but just need the opportunity to show it.

I liked the initial impression of Crismatt but who knows if he will get another shot.

The others are probably a crapshoot.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Oviedo may end up the best player of this group. I really like his stuff and the way he battles. Plus he’s got that workhorse frame to maybe take over Waino’s spot as an innings eater when he retires.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Oviedo will be the best pitcher of this group. He could eventually become a top of rotation guy, IMO. He’s got the pitches and he seems fearless especially for a player so young and so new to MLB. I’m going to defer to all the people that say Carlson will be a future star. So many of them have been involved in the game for a long time and are very knowledgeable. Both Oviedo and Carlson really, really need to spend a season or two at AAA, though. They need to be coached up and fine tuned by the ones that can do it. I like Whitley a lot. I think he is a natural. He seems to have everything needed to be a very valuable bullpen piece. I think Elledge will make plenty of money working out of a bullpen, but probably not here. He’ll draw a lot of interest as a trade piece. Plain and simple, I don’t think Woodford’s pitches have enough late movement for him to thrive at the MLB level. I could see him as a four or five guy that is able to stick around long enough to have a career. Nogowski could be a big help to a club that has a place for a first baseman that doesn’t hit for power. Kaminsky is young enough to pan out if his coaches can help him mature. He has taken a lot of bumps and bruises since being drafted, literally and figuratively. I hope he can be salvaged. He has talent. So far Schrock just hasn’t shown much. I think his job is in jeopardy. No sense in commenting on Kim. His work speaks for itself.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree about Oviedo. He may end up being what we thought we were getting in Alex Reyes.

I have always like Nogowski. He can really hit but since he is limited to 1B or DH he will be hindered in getting much playing time.

My hope on Schrock is that he turns into our next Skip Schumaker. I think he has that potential offensively but will need to diversify defensively.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Carlson is a smart kid and hard worker. I liken him to a Paul Dejong of the outfield. I think he will have a similar career. A solid starter with all star type peaks. I was and remain higher on Nolan Gorman as the 5-6+ WAR potential star that this team is going to need.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the Schrock Skip comparison……i wonder how much work practicing he has tried to get in the OF…not for starting necessarily…but for versatility… he has a good arm…seems decent speed…same goes for Sosa, but his skill at SS is so high maybe you leave him alone

Participant

Free

Max Schrock belongs in MLB.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Max Schrock belongs in MLB.

How would you compare Schrock with Tommy Edman, GC??

Participant

Free

Two of my favorite players…Tommy has the advantage because he is a switch hitter and he is faster.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Then didn’t you just answer you own question why Schrock isn’t with St. Louis? A 28-man roster cannot have 29 or 30 players…

Further, depending on which position the next infield injury occurs and how they are hitting in Springfield (which we do not know), Sosa could get the next call rather than Schrock. This is Sosa’s last option year so his time is running out, but Schrock has the LHH advantage.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish there was some space for Schrock and Sosa to coexist on a bench. I like 2 guys that can handle the middle of the infield and 3b if need be on the bench, as long as one can play 1b if need be and the other (or the same can play the corners)

my bench: (and our best option right now)
    C/1b (preferably with another position too, 3b/2b or LF)…Knizner/Wieters
    SS-MI/3b/1b…Sosa
    2b-MI/3b/COF…Edman
    CF/OF…Bader/Thomas/ONeill
    toss up, depending on weakness of team (LHH or RHH bopper?,SB threat?, etc.)..Bader/Thomas/Oneill

Much of this depends on having a solid starting unit though.

And with our team we have so many ?’s in the regular lineup we are left with a bench not set up to be a great bench, but rather to try to fix the regular lineup production

set:
    C
    SS
    RF (this year at least with Fowler, but whoops he’s hurt)

up in the air:
    3b
    LF
    CF
    RF
    DH

I would love to feel great about Carp and Oneill and Bader and Carlson and Fowler filling all these spots….but the reality is they arent getting it done (due credit to Fowler this year)

That’s way too much for any bench to handle making up and thus we may end up losing players who could be useful bench players because we dont have good enough starters

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jager, you know you had to put Ravelo on waivers, right? Just to get Sosa (or Schrock) on the bench…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years