The future is now – Flaherty to start Friday

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum The future is now – Flaherty to start Friday

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The team has announced that right-handed pitcher Jack Flaherty will start on Friday at San Francisco.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting.Like the move.Looks like FO thinking ahead and waving the white flag on this season.Now let’s see some more player moves that are looking forward.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I dunno about them waving the white flag. Would you rather see Flaherty, Gant or Leake start on Friday? In that simplest of contexts, it should be an easy decision.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Since it’s Flaherty instead of Gant(already on 40 man roster) that makes me think it is as close to throwing in the towel as you can get without saying so.By bringing up Flaherty is so unlike Mo and FO
    .Certainly a surprise.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You believe it is throwing in the towel because they picked the best pitcher, even though it was tougher on the roster? I don’t get your logic, but we agree it is an uncharacteristic move.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think they are throwing in the towel but I do think they are starting to look hard to the future. Flaherty should do OK. Actually what more does he need to prove at Memphis. He needs to avoid what Weaver did last year and try to be too fine. This year Weaver is trusting his stuff more and going after the hitters and getting ahead in the count.

I do think the Leach move is an early step in adding by subtraction. Should also be a strong message to others.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I wonder if getting Flaherty his first start on the road, in a pitchers ballpark, away from the scrutiny he might receive at Busch, and against a team that isn’t very good, is all part of the plan? If so I would assume PuggsleyAdams would concur.

r/Rat

Participant

Paid - Monthly

If I was throwing in the towel, I would not start Flaherty’s clock. I would not use a 40 man roster spot that I could use elsewhere this Winter.

Participant

U tell ’em Brian. Can this kid be any worse than Leake has been since the all star break. I’m riding with U on this one. So happy Leake is gone!!

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m happy Leake is gone, too. I hope he does better in Seattle than he did here, not because I give a rats ass about Leake, but because I am grateful to the Mariners, and I don’t want to see them suffer the way we did.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Are we maybe showcasing Flaherty for a big trade involving him in the offseason? If he does well enough, his value would skyrocket for the trade market we will probably be heavily involved in.

Participant

Free

In a very real sense they put up the white flag in April. The FO thought the Cubs would win 95 games, I think most people did. To match that the Cardinals would have had to go all in and that was never going to happen. So they looked at what they had:
    1. Could Grichuk and Piscotty blossom into productive players? Bust
    2. Would Diaz repeat on offense and get better at fielding? Bust
    3. Would Wong finally reach his potential? He did.
    4. Would Carpenter be a productive 3rd place hitter? Stupidest idea ever.
    5. Could Gyorko play every day and produce? He’s been helpful but not spectacular.
    6. Is Weaver ready to be a major league starter? Sure looks like it.

Now they know more about what they have on the 40 man roster.
    If they decide to do anything, and there is no guarantee that they will, they have a better understanding of what needs fixing and if they can fix it internally.

Participant

I would hope that Flaherty pitches somewhat like his Memphis starts. Anything too good or too bad presents problems. Something like… 6.0-IP 2-R 5-H 6-Ks 1-BB. That would be just about right. A no-no/1-hitter would put too many high expectations on the rook.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years