The Ball

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

This may wind being the shortest thread ever on TCN. The subject is the ball, yes the baseball being used in MLB. I have no stats, just eyeball observations but I know it is summer and has been pretty much since this season started and hot weather usually equals home runs. My point is this. As I understand it MLB is now in charge of baseball production. For the past several years we have heard many complaints on ‘the ball.’ Some say it has been made harder and the result has been many many home runs. From what limited games I have seen this season and from some really good at bats that hit the ball right to the wall and resulted in catches, I would like to know if anybody else thinks that the balls have been softened a bit to cut down on the dingers?
    Just thought I would see if there is any agreement on this.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know if it’s the ball or not. But when I keep seeing warning track power over and over again, and when I keep seeing the way our batters can’t handle the breaking ball, my thoughts go to Jeff Albert.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I let my Baseball Prospectus subscription lapse, but they wrote about this year’s baseball earlier this month. Here is the opening.

“MLB’s juiced ball roller coaster continues with a return to 2018 drag.”

The title is:

“Moonshot: The 2020 Ball Is Less Aerodynamic”

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Excellent post. That settles the part about warning track power.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Great. Nice to know that it wasn’t my imagination.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Well this article on MLB may challenge my assertion:

“The Dodgers hit three home runs against the Rangers to set the NL record for most home runs in a calendar month with 57” This was from yesterdays game.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Maybe we need to ask if they could make the ball a bit bigger so Cardinal hitters can make more contact :).

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Judging from strikeouts it seems as if they already think it is bigger than it is.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.