The Athletic thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum The Athletic thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    gmaske71
    Participant

Free

Okay, since it is off-topic to talk about tangential subjects on other threads, how about if I start one on The Athletic?

I am not a member (of The Athletic), nor have I read a single article at The Athletic.

But I have read numerous articles citing writing in The Athletic.

Here’s what I hate about “insider” sites. People take quotes from “so-and-so writing at The Athletic” without context by which an outsider can either verify or reject the citation as actually bolstering the quoter’s argument.

It used to be that ESPN and FOXSports were insider sites, without a paywall. I mean, you could read about what was going on inside baseball, football, etc. (Also you could verify what was written on these sites without paying a fee.) But now they’re afraid of controversy (except political controversy, which they love). Hence The Athletic. The Athletic gets the best inside sources (frequently anonymous?)

If I am not mistaken commenters have referenced “The Athletic” both to prove and to disprove that there was any real dissension between Hicks and Norris. In the run-up to the Matheny firing The Athletic was used to support the idea that the Cardinals clubhouse was in disarray. Now, subsequent to the firing, we are told–based on The Athletic––that there was no real trouble between Hicks and Norris but that it was only old-school mentoring of the tough-love variety. And really, what other kind of mentoring is there? If you don’t need tough love you probably don’t need mentoring. Indeed maybe you should be mentoring someone.

So The Athletic is treated as the last word on these things because it is “the most inside MLB, or the NBA, or the NFL, etc.” Or maybe it is treated as the last word because the writers there feel like they can write things they can’t at ESPN and FOXSports. (Which is hilarious since they write about politics all the time. They’re afraid to give the low-down on sports but not on politics?)

I never thought there was anything to this Hicks/Norris thing, anyway. I waited for evidence of real abuse, and there was none (thankfully.) But the media, capitalizing on Cardinal Nation discontent, sure fanned the flames, especially by citing columns written on The Athletic. Now we find out there was no real problem. I’ll bet you, though, The Athletic has sold some more subscriptions as a result.

I will say, though, that if The Athletic avoids the political reporting (I have no idea if they do), they may well attract a wide audience from those who are tired of ESPN and FOXSports reporting on what Pops or Kerr or LeBron have to say about Trump, and why it’s the state of North Carolina’s fault if they don’t land the ACC tourney. I’m not the one injecting politics into this, they are, ad nauseum.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with you on a lto of what you said

I have seen an uptick in quoting the Athletic as well, but i dont see why it should be treated with such trust. and the Hicks Norris thign is a very good example

When Hicks tweeted that there was no problem and that the media was fanning flames that werent there is proof that trust in them should be extremely curated

I agree they took advantage of the turmoil in the fanbase and used it to turn a mountain out of a molehill to sell subscriptions and get name recognition. Unfortunately they pushed too hard and ended up biting themselves for it. I now have no trust in them, and that good will will take a while for them to earn it back.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those who do not subscribe, you cannot read the reporting, so it would seem difficult if not impossible for you to make an accurate assessment.

If this is a veiled Hicks discussion, we should move the topic there.

On that, I did read the Saxon article, which included DIRECT quotes from Matheny, Hicks and Norris. No one refuted those quotes as having been made up.

Later reports smoothed over and in some cases, conflicted with what was reported there. How much of it was real and how much was damage control? We do not know, but there were no retractions issued. Saxon said he went to speak to both Matheny and Mo afterward in person about the article and reported on their responses.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel that media in general have drifted from information to commentary over the last few years. Part of the issue is that the internet provides a forum where almost anyone can register an opinion. The internet also creates a panic where legitimate media suddenly becomes fearful of being scooped by a rival thus you now see many more retractions when a reporter has not taken the time to properly research an item.

The major sports outlets have gone from individual or two person teams to 3-5 person teams plus one or more sideline teams and much more opinion and speculation than facts. A major exception is Steve Selby at Memphis who seems almost uncomfortable with a sidekick around. One of my favorites.

I don’t see this much on our site and I feel that Brian is very careful in the opinions he voices. We do have posters who have uncompromising opinions about various topics. That is true in every walk of life and generally those people are ones who are not interested in facts or different ideas because thay always already know the answer.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I bought an Athletic subscription several months ago when they first started because I like reading Ken Rosenthal (or did). I’m not sure if I will renew or not because their material seems to be a bit sensationalized.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t spend a dime on the Athletic because of creeps like Ken Rosenthal. I hope he breaks his leg.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

sigh now people are wishing ill things on people how childish some are.

bccran
    Participant

Reporting on politics and sports has indeed changed over the years. In my opinion it used to be mainly fact based and news reporting. Now it seems to be much more opinion based, and (yes) somewhat sensationalistic at times to sell advertising.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Onyxgem – I’m surprised that you interpreted my post literally. Makes me wonder if there isn’t something else bothering you. What prompted me to say what I said was a tweet by Ken Rosenthal that I thought was insulting and demeaning to the Cardinals organization. Somehow I took it personal. And in retrospect I probably overreacted. But I’m not apologizing. I’m glad I took the opportunity to blow off some steam.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I may not have seen the entire Rosenthal blurb, but if I did he made some uncomplimentary general statement(s) without much supporting facts.

What has the Cardinals done over and over that has made them desperate.

Brian’s story today makes it pretty clear that we have made some bad transactions. That has a lot to do with our current performance.

I do think the media of today is heavy into speculation and sensationalism. Brian an exception.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not too thinly-veiled charges leveled by a Post-Dispatch editor against The Athletic.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

What is The Athletic?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

It is a recent on-line sports magazine. Most of their content is sibscription only

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jim Bowden ranks the farm systems, placing the Cards just below the middle, at 17th. His top prospects:

Reyes
    Hudson
    Gorman
    Helsley
    Kelly
    O’Neill
    Knizner

https://theathletic.com/483010/2018/08/22/bowden-grading-the-farm-systems-of-all-30-mlb-teams-after-the-trade-deadline/

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

This is supposed to be a link. For me I can only get it to open in another tab.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.