Team Chemistry

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Team Chemistry

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Has team chemistry already improved by getting rid of some relievers and Tommy Pham?

New Team Chemistry

If so, it would be a telling indictment…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think “team chemistry” is a trailing indicator, rather than a leading indicator. If things are going good, and you win some games in the fashion that the Cardinals did yesterday, you will see good team chemistry.

But if the club has a tough series this weekend, and team chemistry is probably not brought up.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I agree with bikemike

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Yeah it’s a little early to tell. Just like if the sudden injection of youth has been a springboard.

The schedule appears favorable. I’ll give ya an idea after the 22nd if the chemistry has changed.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I also think clubhouse chemistry is at times overrated. I am a graduate of the University of Oklahoma. Our womens basketball team is a consistent participant in the NCAA tournament. They have amazing team closeness and chemistry but they are plagued by inconsistency and many feel that they underachieve. Their coach, Sherri Coale has often claimed that they lack leadership among the team’s leading players. Several players have failed to improve much if at all during their time with the team.

I have often wondered whether all of that koombya has dampened the tendency for key players to demand that other team members step up for the benefit of the team. As if no one dares to call others to task.

Coach Coale did a fantastic job of turning the program around at OU but the team has been absent from the top tier for a number of years. They do a ton of community service and travel overseas to aid less fortunate people such as victims of the Hatii disaster. She is a brilliant person, appears to do a great job of building character and seems to be a credit to the univesity. But fans are becoming more and more restless as Texas and Baylor have moved past them to elite status.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I think “team chemistry” is a trailing indicator,

I agree that it is usually a trailing indicator. However, if someone grates on teammates, it may be better for overall team chemistry to remove them.

Kind of like companies remove employees who are bad apples in the workforce every day.

I forgot to mention the removal of Matheny in my original post as a contributor to the mood in the clubhouse lifting…

I also view the Post-Dispatch to be the unofficial PR team for the Cardinals, so there’s that…

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was never anti-Matheny but I agree the team attitude seems to be much better with him gone. Part of that may be due to Shildt who I have always liked. But Shildt has to prove that he can handle the load at the major league level.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Murphy was constantly temperamental and moody when he played with the Mets. Brian mentioned that he’s used to starting…. red flag. Let the Cubs’ dugout deal with him. Adams is a much better fit and more apt to better suited for the role he’ll be in. Plus the team and the fans like the guy. Good karma.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A scalding hot bat can make team chemistry feel pretty good.

14NyquisT
    Participant

How’s the chemistry with the team now? Not a trailing indicator any more. Carp-o-mania plus the new younger and healthier rotation and bullpen plus the vastly improved outfield…. this team is primed for a run. One would have to say that the two injuries, one to Fowler the other to CMartinez, plus the Pham, plus the dismissal of the bullpen denizens that were wasting space, all changed the faces on the team and created a new chemistry.

I guess the new manager had something to do with it, but the Memphis mob was chomping at the bit to get their chance. The door swung open to them and now look what we have a vigorous and exciting team.

Can you imagine Schlitz running Fowler out there and Pham in center? There is a new chemistry and its winning games for us.

TheLonelyBull
    Participant

Free

Is this another one of those, “Tommy Pham speaks his mind about his situation and therefore he’s a clubhouse cancer because he’s not a sit down, take it in the rear, and shut up kind of person like me”?

TheLonelyBull
    Participant

Free

And yes, I can imagine Shildt running out Fowler every day because that’s exactly what he did.

TheLonelyBull
    Participant

Free

Wasn’t it reported that Tommy Pham was offered two years at 4 million which would likely be less than he’d earn in arbitration over that time span? If that is true, who is the asshole here?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How’s the chemistry with the team now? Not a trailing indicator any more. Carp-o-mania plus the new younger and healthier rotation and bullpen plus the vastly improved outfield…. this team is primed for a run. One would have to say that the two injuries, one to Fowler the other to CMartinez, plus the Pham, plus the dismissal of the bullpen denizens that were wasting space, all changed the faces on the team and created a new chemistry.

I guess the new manager had something to do with it, but the Memphis mob was chomping at the bit to get their chance. The door swung open to them and now look what we have a vigorous and exciting team.

Can you imagine Schlitz running Fowler out there and Pham in center? There is a new chemistry and its winning games for us.

My comment about the scalding hot bat was referring to Murphy and the Cubs, not the team chemistry of the Cardinals.

And to suggest that our new manager “might” have something to do with our new chemistry is so generous of you. Everyone who thinks we would have gone 26-12 in our last 38 under Mathenius raise their hand.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My comment about the scalding hot bat was referring to Murphy and the Cubs, not the team chemistry of the Cardinals.

Let’s see the scrubs play a real team before we make comments on their clubhouse chemistry or even their level of play, shall we? Could just be a lucky streak against a bad team.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Uh ok.

14NyquisT
    Participant

“This team is completely different. If you watched them over the weekend against the Colorado Rockies, their whole vibe has changed.” – @markdero7 on the @Cardinals #MLBCentral

10:24 AM – Aug 27, 2018

“Vibe”, “chemistry”, “mojo”…. a person with poor eyesight could see the difference in this team. Schlitz is on the ride of his life.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Uh ok.

I’m just saying, this could just as easily be a run like the Cards had early in the year against bad teams that fizzled against better competition.

I get that you’re miffed that the Cubs got Murphy but he fixes a problem they didn’t really have. The rotation there is not good enough to win a playoff series, let alone a pennant, without a big return to form from several guys.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, Gyorko, who is the guy who probably would have sit had Murphy been added, had a 1.209 OPS last week. So far Murphy’s is 1.112 with the Cubs.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Again this isn’t just about St. Louis. There are 29 teams that could have claimed Murphy and I probably wouldn’t have said a peep. He just ended up in the wrong place.

And as for the Cubs rotation: Hamels is doing his 1984 Sutcliffe impersonation, Lester is always tough in big games and the postseason, Hendricks and Quintana are a little shaky but plenty good enough if their offense continues blasting.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those interested, I checked on Fowler. Because he was in a walking boot due to his ankle injury, he did not accompany the team on the road. That makes sense. However, he has been in the clubhouse when the team is at home. The employee I asked was not sure about every game, but said it is definitely more than just once in awhile.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lots of lefties and the Cards mash lefties now. I wouldn’t mind facing the Cubs in the NLDS. The only team I want nothing to do with is the Dodgers.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Odd take considering we just swept the Dodgers.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.