Stubby

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

It might be a good idea to look at Stubby’s background in more detail. Especially after he retired from playing.
    Chronologically –

2008 – Hitting coach for Astros A ball club
    2010 – Hitting coach for Astros AA ball club
    2011 – Manager of Astros Single A affiliate
    2013 – Hitting Coach of Toronto’s A+ team
    2014 – Hitting coach for Toronto’s AA team
    2015 – 3rd base coach for Canadian National Team
    2016 – Named Manager of AAA Memphis
    2017 – PCL Manager of the Year/Named overall Minor League Manager of the Year by Baseball America (wow)/Memphis wins PCL Title
    2018 – Again named PCL Manager of the Year/Memphis wins
    AAA overall Championship.
    2019 – Promoted to Cardinals 3rd base coach

I didn’t know he had that much experience as a hitting coach. Wonder how he and Albert get along.

If they’re going to stay within the system, you can’t find a more qualified guy than Stubby. I’d be excited if he gets the job.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Regarding Stubby: If you liked the move to bring in Reyes in the 9th inning of the Wild Card game, you will love Stubby.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Stubby is, what, about Five feet Two inches tall? Do you think he will command the respect of the players? Or would they run all over him, no pun intended.

bccran
    Participant

Why is that, BHC? Did he initiate it or endorse it?

bccran
    Participant

He’s 5’8″, Rats.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Why is that, BHC? Did he initiate it or endorse it?

Cranny, its what he would have done himself. This is based on his managing style at Memphis.

Pork Twain
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes Rats, because players only respect tall managers… SMDH

BC, I agree that Stubby would be a great hire.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Richard Keith “Stubby” Clapp would be a decent hire. The Cards certainly want to keep him…….but I get the feeling that they wouldn’t panic if another team came calling for his services. But I think the thought of losing young talented Oliver J. Marmol is a most disturbing one. Who knows, maybe the club became aware of San Diego’s desire to interview Marmol and panicked…… instigated a “situation” with Shildt…..and here we are.

bccran
    Participant

BHC – I don’t understand that. Did Stubby ever have 2 pitchers in the bullpen (in the 9th) the caliber of Flaherty and Hudson? Why do you think he would have brought in Reyes?

Pugs – How much managerial experience does Marmol have, and at what level?

bccran
    Participant

Incidentally, Stubby’s grandfather was called Stubby, and his father was called Stubby. He’s Stubby III. One of his sons is Stubby IV.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

From what we hear, it sounds like either Stubby or Ollie would be good choices.

If we could morph time a little and put together 1967, when Musial was our GM, and if Marmol becomes our manager, we would be talking a lot about how Stan and Ollie are doing in leading our club. 😁

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years