StL 2019 Game 69 thread: Fri 6/14 at Mets

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 69 thread: Fri 6/14 at Mets

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Dave 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:10 p.m. RHP Daniel Ponce de Leon (0-0, 1.80) vs. LHP Steven Matz (5-4, 3.88) Fox Sports Midwest // MLB Network // KMOX

• This topic was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    Dave
    Participant

Free

Here’s hoping we can start with a victory and cap off our comeback from last night.
    Hoping Ponce de Leon can give us at least 5 solid innings giving us a chance to win it in the later innings. Go Cardinals!

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt is hoping that the game will be decided without going into several X-innings and won’t have to burn any more relief arms with the second game of the series following.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we will get to add a 26th player for today. Goold speculates it will be Leone.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Leone why?????????????????????????????????

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Because he is on the 40 man so it is the path of least resistance. If that is the case hopefully it is just for one day and he can go back to Memphis.

Dave
    Participant

Free

Great win from last night/today going into game 2 of the series. And as important, we didn’t have to expend much energy in doing so and we still have all our bullpen options available.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Leone is your man for 11-1 situations…winning or losing. His case is a strange one, to be sure. He has decent stuff and good numbers except where it counts in his time with the Cards. Shame.

Hope the bats come alive and we can take this one.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

No one watching? The Cards went up 4-1 on a Jmart pinch hit homer. But they give up a homer to the pitcher, and now Bad Miller shows up, and then Wong made a bonehead play to throw away a run. 4-3 now, bases loaded, none out.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Well, Gant tried but couldn’t hold. 5-4 Mets.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Andrew Miller for the Sigh Young Award.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Dejong ties it with a HR to left.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Andrew Miller for the Sigh Young Award.

I guess I jinxed him when I said how good he’d been lately.

Also, note to Carpenter…that’s what you do when lefties pitch you that way.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Dexter crushes one and he knows it! 8-5 Cardinals!

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Who says Marp can’t play defense? Nice play there, Mr Carpenter.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

When this team plays loose, they play really well. Unfortunately, they have played tight for over a month now. Here’s to a lighter stretch forthcoming (and maybe Marp and Goldy having a hot streak).

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Todd Frazier is now the Mets’ last chance. Gant is dealing…he might be the MVP of the game tonight with his long bullpen appearance. The 3-2 is grounded out and the Cards win 9-5!

Dave
    Participant

Free

the Offense is starting to come alive, scoring 12 runs in the last 11 innings. Your right stlcard25… when they play loose there is good results. It seems in April they were playing loose with some games of tightness or just ran into a good pitcher they couldn’t figure out, where as since the first Cubs series, it’s been the reverse. Hopefully this team can get back to how they were playing in April.
    I know it’s only a couple games but this could be the start of something big just based on how we won these last games with timely hitting, good pitching, and the attitude of never give up.

Dave
    Participant

Free

Nice job by Ponce. I would have liked to see him get a chance at the victory but still a good performance. Excellent work by Gant out of the pen for a 3 inning save. Also a little overlooked was Brebbia’s performance stranding those 2 runners in the 5th.

Dave
    Participant

Free

Perhaps some inspiration from the Blues. It would be interesting to have seen some of the posting on the Blues Home page from their fans on Jan 3rd. I’m sure it wasn’t pretty.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well a good comeback in the first game boils over to the second. hopefully pretty soon ill be able to actually watch a game. been real busy of late. im gonna hold off saying we have made it back til we start beating the good teams on a regular basis but its good right now.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Paul DeJong is now 1st all-time in opponent’s slugging against the Mets (min. 75 AB’s) with a .789 slg. %

Second is Stan Musial. (Not second among Cardinals, second among everyone.) This shouldn’t be too surprising since Stan was one of the best hitters in history — until we consider that the Mets were founded when The Man was 41 years old.

At age 41 & 42, Musial did this versus the Mets: .405/.515/.684 with 20 walks and 5 strikeouts in 101 PA’s.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I was surprised that Shildt didn’t pull Ponce in the 2nd. It was obvious that the guy was tossing moon balls consistently. Even he admitted after the game that he couldn’t control his fast ball. Even tried throwing it in the dirt and it went high. But Shildt looked like a master by using JMart in that PH role. Good see JMart getting his stroke back. Good to see a lot of them doing the same but Goldy is really looking befuddled on some swings. But he hits the ball hard many times – right at the defender. However, Goldy at 1B has saved this team a lot of misery.

Almost forgot to credit Edman for doing a very nice job at 2B and hitting that double – his first MLB hit.

Winning four of five on the road ain’t bad. Now two more over the Mets and they can come home looking good. GO CARDS.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Just a quick comment on something that I have noticed. The little white outlined ‘strike box’ is not always very accurate. I have no idea how it is determined or by whom but what we were describing as high strikes in last nights game were probably more like good calls because the outline of the top of the box was often at the players belt line while they were in batting position. As I understand it the strike zone is determined when the batter is in their natural batting position – not when they squat to start a swing.

Along those lines take notice sometimes as to which area of the strike zone is most often called wrong. It is the bottom because, let’s face it, it has to be a guess as no HPU can get that low to judge it. I was an umpire a lot during my college days and I will admit that calling the low pitch a strike was frequently an educated guess. I fully support the incorporation of an electronic strike zone. Some oppose it as taking away the human element. That has already been done with the replay review system and it has improved the game by making calls more accurate. That’s my vent for today.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The TV guys were saying some of the same things Dave posted, regarding those two games yesterday could be the start of a turn-around. That ninth inning comeback was something else, then to finish it off the next day – well, we might be looking back at that game as the momentum changer.

I was in disagreement with Shildt when he pulled Ponce for the pinch-hitter, but it was clearly the right move in hindsight. I was listening to the KMOX broadcast at the time, as I was walking the dog. 🙂 Both Rooney and Horton thought it was the right move since Ponce had struggled with his control, something he has done all year at Memphis as well. But my thought was he had just settled in and had a quick 1-2-3 fourth inning, and so I would have kept him in there to see if he could bunt the runners over. But Jose hit the big blast and that got things going.

I like the way Shildt is starting to turn the runners loose on the bases. We have needed to see more of that, and now it looks like he is doing it. Horton made some good comments about it, as they started the runners on the Martinez homer, and he talked about how moving the runners keeps the pressure on the defense, and the pitcher as well.

Good road trip so far. Let’s see how the weekend goes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years