StL 2019 Game 35 thread: Mon 5/6 vs. Phils

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 35 thread: Mon 5/6 vs. Phils

This topic contains 32 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I know we won but can anyone explain Bader sitting against a lefty and now starting against a righty?

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know, CC. But here’s a fun stat:

Versus lefties, for his MLB career so far, Bader has posted a 151 wRC+. Let’s see how that compares to a couple other center fielders we all know.

Willie Mays for his career had a 154 wRC+ and Joe DiMaggio had a 152. Since Bader’s defense/baserunning is very likely better than the Clipper’s, but not as great as the Say Hey Kid’s, it’s fair to say that when Bader plays against southpaws, he’s more or less the midpoint of Joe DiMaggio and Willie Mays. (Joe D. was worth just over 6 WAR per 600 PA’s for his career, and Mr. Mays 7.5.)

Now, does that sound like someone who should ever be benched against a lefty, under any circumstances?

I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say that this is a conflicted organization right now. They are a mid-market team that has done a great job over the past decade-plus at developing players and pitchers from within…but they have recently made a series of fairly massive commitments — both financial and emotional — to aging or aged athletes. Moreover, their current manager has shown a tendency to favor veterans of questionable or severely imbalanced skillsets over young players who need every day playing time, in order to potentially get to where Paul DeJong (and to a lesser extent, Kolten Wong) have arrived.

Anyway, I hope that if Tyler O’Neill homers once a game in Triple-A for the next ten or twelve days, the front office can convince Mike Shildt to find four or five starts a week for him in the majors.

NJ315
    Participant

1. Mikolas close to his era being under 4 that was the Mikolas we know and love.
    2. The Cubs ran into a little problem on their way to sweeping the Marlins by losing the first game.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I hope that if ONeil homers for the next 10 or 12 games in AAA he continues to homer in AAA because he has developed into a homer or nothing guy. For a short period he talked of lessening his SOs and actually did so but Hercules is back to being Hercules or nothing. I do wish him all the best in his career but he does have a major loophole to conquer before he will be a consistent MLB player. Then again, I have been known to be wrong – imagine that.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You beat me to it, Rats. I was just going to ask about those “automatic wins” over Miami that had been predicted for the mentally tough Cubs. 😉 As you said, such is baseball. The bookies never go out of business!

The Cubs losing to the Marlins does restore some of my faith in humanity but it is a shame we have to rely on the hapless Marlins to do what we couldn’t do.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Also, Eduardo Perez just said that Bengie Molina said that Yadi has “a lot of baseball left to play.” NyQuist triggered??”

Bob, I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I predict Yadi will sign an extension within the calendar year. This means that Knizer is likely to go the way of Kelly which means that Ivan Herrera is next man up.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Bob, I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I predict Yadi will sign an extension within the calendar year. This means that Knizer is likely to go the way of Kelly which means that Ivan Herrera is next man up.

I do think Yadi will play past his current deal as well. TBH, I believe his play has generally earned him that right, so long as he doesn’t crater. I’d see an extension before opening day of 2020 as more likely, but who knows.

I like the idea of Knizner, but there’s certainly no guarantee that he’ll pan out. I’d like to see him hang around to spell Yadi and take over in case of injury, which is what I suspect will happen in 2020. If Yadi gets extended to 2022 or beyond, I would think that will signal the end of the Knizner era and that he’ll be trade bait.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

You definitely want to go Bader-Martinez in the outfield against a lefty starter, and Fowler/Bader-Martinez against a righty starter.

You might go with Harry when a fly-ball righty pitcher is starting for our club, and Crazy Jose when a ground ball righty is starting.

If you are leading late, Harry needs to be in center. Course with a big lead it does not matter that much.

O’Neill will be fine as long as he works on making contact. That is all he needs to do as the power will be there. He needs to swing the bat the way DeJong did last night on the homer to right center. He just put the bat on the ball and made solid contact. Do that and good things happen. Swing so you lose your balance, and you probably come up empty.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years