StL 2019 Game 142 thread: Sat 9/7 at Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 142 thread: Sat 9/7 at Pirates

This topic contains 24 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Minuteman3 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:05 p.m. RHP Adam Wainwright (10-9, 4.30) vs. LHP Steven Brault (4-3, 3.88) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I tried to post on Friday night since I get the Error message on Saturdays and cant post. And wala, I got the error message on Friday night and my post didn’t go through.

But watch this post go through, I bet.

Rat

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I had an inkling that one of the Pirate games would be a loser if our pen had to go a ways. That happened so now we are clear to win the next two………right? But then I see Waino on the road and remember all those dire warnings about his road record. Hope he can turn it around today.

Rats: Maybe it’s because you wear a red hat that your posts are being turned down. Some unknown liberal author made the statement that folks should not wear red hats – of any persuasion. So Phillys, Nats, Cards, Reds, etc, etc, etc. need to dump the headgear so she can feel unoffended…….LOL

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals magic number to clench the division is 20 with 21 games to play. They are currently 5 games ahead in the wild card if they don’t win the division.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino on the road against a hot offense? I don’t like it. But they are facing a lefty so I suppose they could score some runs too. Still, I don’t get a good feeling about this. I’ve been abstaining from making predictions lately but I will have to go ahead and say the Pirates win 7-5. Feels like they will want payback for us embarrassing them twice in a row in Pittsburgh.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Waino has been pitching very well lately. Brault has been good too. Hope we get the bats going tonight.Got a lefty so we may get the hits going to other places. Go Cardinals!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We can’t mess around by losing to inferior teams. We had better win the next two. The rest of our schedule is dicey. The Rockies don’t have a good record but we all know Coors Field can be crazy, then we host the Brewers and Nationals which won’t be easy, then the four game gauntlet at Wrigley, three at red hot Arizona, then finish with three at home against the Cubs.

We can’t mess around with last place Pittsburgh.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt probably won’t do it but I think DeJong really needs the day off. He must be mentally taxed.

People get enamored with his HR total but let’s forget that his batting average is not that good and his strikeout rate is astronomical. He is a solid player but let’s pump the brakes on sending him to Cooperstown. (And for those hung up on semantics yes there was sarcasm in that post).

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I agree gscottar, we cant mess around with dud teams like the Pirates. We definitely need the next two. The Cubs and Brewers will probably split the next two and end up splitting the series. Every game is CRITICAL!

Carter
    Carter
    Participant

Free

DeJong is an enigma. I watch his face as he bats and his reactions in the dugout. Unless there is an eruption of emotion from his mates his affect is flat, deadpan.

He doesn’t argue with umps. His gaze is unfocused when not at bat. I’ve been watching him closely for a while and I think I have the answer: Paul DeJong is a robot.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Paul DeJong is a very good player.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Ozuna with a 3-run HR in the 3rd. Cards lead 4-1 in the bottom of the 5th. That was the lead last night before things went south — bet they stay focused tonight.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

In the 6th Edman and Bader drive in runs with singles, making the score 6-1.

How about Edman going 1st to 3rd on Bader’s sharp single hit fairly close to the LFer? It was “in your face” style base running. He’s doing things with his speed, alertness, and non-stop motor that you don’t see from many MLBers.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Edman is exciting.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought the balls and strikes calling last night was the worst I’ve ever seen. It’s just as bad tonight. These umpires should be replaced by robots if that’s the best they can no.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought the balls and strikes calling last night was the worst I’ve ever seen. It’s just as bad tonight. These umpires should be replaced by robots if that’s the best they can no.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

If Waino gets 2 outs in the 8th he will be at 150 innings for the year…. I’m guessing there is a bonus tied to that? Did any details about the bonus levels for starting or relieving ever get out?

Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

Good Evening,
    I subscribed to this forum, just to ask a question that may have been
    asked previously.

I am watching the Pirates game on Saturday night, Sept. 7th.

Whenever the pitcher throws a strike…. there is someone in the
    background audio that say’s…. eeeerrrrggggg

It could be a fan near an open mic…. it could be a fan near the
    broadcast booth… where it is being picked up.

It tends to happen a whole lot… whenever the Cardinals play the Brewers,
    at the Brewers stadium.

Does anyone else ever hear this? It is very very annoying during the game.

Tonight… it doesn’t matter if its the Cards that are pitching… or the
    Pirates that are pitching…. they do it for both teams.

So what about it? Has anyone else heard it… and do you know who it is?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

No reason for Wainwright to bat in the 8th with expanded rosters. Not worth the injury risk.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Nice win. Waino goes 7 good innings and we get good relief! 10 runs on 10 hits, don’t see that very often. Go Cardinals!

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cubs lose 3-2.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Nice post Sooner! I got sidetracked and wasn’t following that game.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Everybody likes to dog Angel Hernandez and Joe West, but Ted Barrett relatively quietly may just be the worst of them all at calling balls/strikes. He’s the guy who rung up Edman on three pitches, of which none were close to the zone. One study I saw for the 2018 season had Barrett as the worst in all of MLB with a missed call rate of 11.54% and Joe West was 2nd worst at 11.43%. Mark Wegner was the best.

Here’s a pic of the Edman at bat. Pitches 3, 4, and 6 were called strikes, LOL.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t get to see this one (blackout) but nice to see that I was proved wrong. Waino was solid and the offense was good. The Cubs lost too…so let’s get the series win tomorrow.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<EW wrote: but Ted Barrett relatively quietly may just be the worst of them all>

Amen. Ted looks like an umpires umpire and he had me fooled when on the bases but behind home plate he turns into a CB Bucknor lookalike. Probably the worst I have seen this year and I don’t go by the high and low strike calls because that white outline box is BS in most cases if you look closely. He is consistently inconsistent. To say the players on both sides were confused was the only thing consistent about Mr Barretts calls.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years