St. Louis Cardinals to buy Hammons Field in Springfield

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum St. Louis Cardinals to buy Hammons Field in Springfield

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Didn’t see this mentioned elsewhere. Good news for continuity and the city of Springfield. In the agreement, the Cardinals will make some 4 million dollars in improvements to the park. (Which I already thought was pretty darn nice for AA) In addition, they are buying 2 nearby parking lots. Right now the parking is kind of janky as private owners are charging jacked up rates. I doubt we get better rates from the Cardinals but who knows.

Edit: Forgot to add purchase price: 12 million. Maybe Mo can claim this as some of the money the Cardinals are spending lol

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That isn’t what is happening.

The stadium and parking lots are currently owned by the Hammons Trust, and are being purchased by the City of Springfield, not the Cardinals. The City is also paying for $4M in improvements, which are needed for Hammons Field to meet MLB standards for minor league parks.

The Cardinals will commit to stay in Springfield until 2038.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/city-of-springfield-mo-reaches-12-million-agreement-to-buy-hammons-field-nearby-parking-lots/article_47456459-7979-53e3-8301-c044ece705ec.html

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ah, that makes more sense. Shows what I get from trusting a guy at work who is usually on top of things.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More details on all the affiliates for members:

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

That parking lot caused all of this. The lot killed attendance. Hard to believe, but true. The old owners deserve a special place in hell for making all the human beings with health issues and special needs pay those prices or walk.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

How far did the fans have to walk if they opted not to park in the lot and was it possible to drop a group of people off close to an entry gate at the venue and then pick them up as they exited? Just curious as to whether the layout was situated or maybe designed so as to hamper that sort of approach.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

It’s a business. They can charge for parking if they wish. The special needs and health issue people have an option as well.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

It’s a business. They can charge for parking if they wish. The special needs and health issue people have an option as well.

Yawn. Why is this usually the response by certain people?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, I’ve never owned a business or been self employed so I can’t speak with the benefit of practical experience however, I was always led to believe that the success of a business that relies on the cash flow provivded by it’s customers is somewhat, if not primarily, dependent upon the desire and ability of that business to provide a product and atmosphere that is at the very least attractive to it’s customers simply because if those customers aren’t provided with a sense of satisfaction, they’re inclined to expend their monetary resources elsewhere. Whether or not that’s the reality, I’m no economics expert, but the concept certainly rings true to me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.