Spring Training Invites

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring Training Invites

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

We should be getting announcements soon about which minor leaguers will get Spring training invites to the ML club. Some minor league free agent signings have been announced to include an invite. For players under team control, I saw where Ryan Heisley said he was going to big league camp in an interview he did with Viva el Birdos. A few more may leak out of Winter warm up.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have been told they will announce both big league and STEP camp invitees in one release. I think it is pretty safe to assume every one of our top 15 prospects will be in St. Louis camp – another reminder of how top-heavy the system is currently.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Add Schrock to the list

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I didn’t have to add Schrock. He is in the top 15.

Posting my NRI predictions article in the morning for members.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Heads up to subscribers that my NRI predictions article was posted first thing this morning. I will answer questions on the insiders board. Thanks.

Bob
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pretty sure Woodford is invited, again this year…another solid year last year!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We have an early unofficial list of 23 non-roster camp invitees.

https://thecardinalnation.com/early-report-of-cardinals-non-roster-spring-camp-invitees/

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see 7 of the NRI guys have MLB experience.Pena and Baron at Catcher.Pena does have several cups of coffee with KC and Baltimore.Baron saw a few weeks with Seattle a few years back.
    Gilmartin and Guilmet both have time in the bigs.Gilmartin was actually a decent bullpen guy for the Mets a couple of yeasrs ago.Guilmet short time with Yaks/Balt?Tovar cup of coffee with Mets a couple years back.Mejia got time in Stlouis last year and offers defense and little offense.Schafer still trying to do both or just pitch?
    Of all the NRIs with MLB time i think Francisco Pena and Sean Gilmartin could possibly see STLouis this season if injuries and/or ineffectiveness cause roster churn.Pena as a semi-veteran backup Catcher if Molina/Kelly get hurt.Gilmartin as a Lefty bullpen guy if Lyons/Cecil/Sherriff get hurt.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rotworld says Cards signed 33 year old RHP Edward Mujica to a minor league contract with a spring invite.Mujica pitched for Tigers in 2017 before getting released early in season.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Mo is going back to his old ways of dumpster diving.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C’mon. Every team signs reclamation projects/minor league filler. In this case, Mujica isn’t even invited to MLB camp, so it seems pretty obvious they are not counting on getting anything from him.

It would actually make this a meaningful conversation if you have any data that suggests the Cards sign more of these kinds of players compared to other teams – or this is just (as I suspect) the normal grousing just because.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Mo loves his dumpster diving don’t even try to say otherwise…

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

this is barely even news…it’s a minor league signing….nothing more…just because the name is recognizable doesnt make it anything more than a minor league filler that EVERY team signs every single year

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I never did hear what the arm injury was that shut down Junior Fernandez Palm Beach season. When he was in Brian’s report as attending mini camp in January I was hoping a ST invite would indicate he was recovered and ready to start season. Guess will need to wait and see if he just did not make the list or if he is missing because he was not ready for early workload.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bicep soreness. Mentioned in his top 50 write-up and in the BaseballHQ prospect article. He assured me he was cleared to go and participated in drills in instructional camp same as the others. I will confirm later, but my guess is they were worried about him pushing it to impress in big-league camp.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will Junior Fernandez and Jordan Hicks be in Springfield this year?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Almost certainly, gscottar.

bccran
    Participant

Do we have projections yet for the Memphis, Springfield, Palm Beach, and Peoria rosters?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some people here started a thread on that. I do not firm up and publish my predictions until the Cardinals announce all of their spring camp invitations. (No, I do not know when that will be!)

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

bccran…. I know that you probably have your projections done already. I’d love to see it and compare notes as I have my done. Post it here or send it to BW and I’m sure he be willing to pass it along to me, if you want to keep it personal. Or start a new thread.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Avatar 14NyquisT.
    PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Mujica may be a stealth signing. He was excellent with us in 2014. He was serviceable in 2015 with Boston throwing 60+ innings of 3.70 ball. Then he had a 3.31 ERA in 2015 before fracturing his thumb. Then he fell apart. You’d think he would’ve recovered by 2017, but I guess not.

I don’t see why folks think Mozeliak (who isn’t the GM btw) is any more of a ‘dumpster diver’ than other GMs. Have you seen who the Red’s have been signing recently??!?

bccran
    Participant

Here’s what I have as a possibility for Memphis at this point –

SP –

Flaherty
    Hudson
    Gomber
    Gant
    Poncedeleon

RP –

Mayers
    Pearce
    Ellis
    Lucas
    Herget
    Gilmartin
    Wick

C – Knizner
    1B – Voit
    2B – Schrock
    SS – Munoz
    3B – Wisdom
    OF – O’Neill
    OF – A. Garcia
    OF – Mercado

Bench –

Baron
    Ravelo
    Valera
    Mejia
    Arozarena

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I thought there was another thread on this, but did not find it. Rather than lose the discussion again, I recommend those interested start a separate topic on minor league roster projections, rather than put it on a spring training camp invitation thread.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My annual look at spring training uniform number assignments. Just 19 of the 63 camp invitees have the same number as last spring.

https://thecardinalnation.com/2018-cardinals-spring-training-number-assignments/

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years