Spring training game #15 – at Astros – Fri 3/9

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training game #15 – at Astros – Fri 3/9

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Miles Mikolas vs. Justin Verlander. 6:05 p.m. first pitch. FOX Sports Midwest, MLB Network (delayed) and audio streaming.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder that this is an evening game (or at least late afternoon)!

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

It’ll be interesting in seeing if Mikolas was able to work out his issues with Maddox.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

He was under the watchful eye of Matheny as well.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Never heard a pitcher credit Matheny with any mechanical change that helped. Kind of surprising really.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Excellent… O’Neill is back in the field and Mejia gets a start at SS. They’ll be up against Verlander.

Mikolas better be better than he has shown or else our fans will be getting the tar heated. I’ll be rooting for him to have a smooth outing. I hate the negativity, deserved or not. He’ll be up against the best lineup in MLB… even in ST games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Yep… that’s a pretty tough lineup.

14NyquisT
    Participant

From Joe Trezza yesterday in case you missed it. That “he’s still young” will only last so long. Perez will need to polish up his resume… and soon.

“He’s a long ways away,” Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said. “We wanted to give him a little taste, and then make sure he gets back to work, because there are a lot of things he needs to work on.”

That extends to both sides of the white lines. Scouts still love Perez’s glove and athleticism, but questions linger about his maturity and physical strength. Perez, who tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance as an amateur, has yet to homer in 320 Minor League plate appearances.

Matheny described Perez’s appearance on the big league side as a cameo.

“Now go earn it,” he said.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

So who is playing 3B in the lineup posted above? Mejia or DeJong? Would be a neat trick for both to play SS. Talk about employing a shift, lol.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I’ve ripped the signing and it’s just one game but nice job tonight by Miles Mikolas. Props to the young man. Now he needs to show he can do it again. Mayers had a really good inning as well.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DeJong also justified his contract by taking Verlander deep! 😉

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

O’Neill has a right hamstring strain. Was injured hustling down to first base in the 8th.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards fall 4-2 at the Astros. Brebbia had what felt like his first bad inning of the spring and took the loss. Florida record now 6-7-2.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas’ ball was moving around a lot. He just needs to keep more of his pitches on the lower half of the plate. If he improves again as much as he did since his last outing, he should be really good.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

O’Niell might need to layoff the weights.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Mikolas was just ok IMO. He still put too many runners on base a labored through the 4th. I want to see him more cleaner then that performance.

Brebbia was absolutely brutal tonight.

When’s the offense going to show up? Another concern of mine.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

now that Mikolas has pitched 7 straight scoreless innings people might start to calm down a bit.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

So we shouldn’t be worried about his early inning trouble?

7 innings and a lot of issues. This wasn’t a jaw dropping performance like you want to hope it was. He’s bought himself another start but the red flags are there that this deal might have been a dumpster diving mistake by the ownership and miss-evaluation by the scouts. He could be nothing more than a swing man at best. You or I only have a hunch.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

He pitched in and out of trouble but it was a better performance than what we have witnessed so far. He will have to improve even more if he wants to prove he was worthy of the deal. But for one night and 4 innings he survived. Give him that much.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Obsessing over two bad early spring starts is rather pointless.

Either he will improve or he won’t. I know I would be nervous after fighting that hard to get back on this side of the ocean.

Mikolas doesn’t deserve to get nitpicked because our gm made a move to pick him up and didn’t make another big one instead. It probably wasn’t even an either/or decision… we saw opportunity with mikolas and we took it.

Let the guy get through 6 weeks in the regular season then see where we are at.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Not when it’s someone you paid $15 million dollars and hasn’t appeared in a MLB game in 4 years.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.