Should Ponce de Leon be put in the rotation?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Should Ponce de Leon be put in the rotation?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes

Always go with production over pedigree, especially big league production. Ponce could be the poster child for guys like Woodford, Fagalde, Parsons, and others who have had low expectations.

Meanwhile the can’t miss superstar Reyes has produced nothing but heartache and headaches.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Agree. Put him out there for the remainder of the season and lets see what he does. He seems to have solved some of the command issues he was having at AAA.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ponce has earned it, no doubt. I really hope they show some urgency and play the best players from here on.

Participant

Free

I too think he has earned it. wacha had his chance. I think it does mean its possible wacha will not be with the team next year or could even be traded this year if someone thinks they could get some magic from him. I like ponce though im not sure hes ever really gonna be much more than a five hundred pitcher longterm but you never know.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get what you mean, but here is another reminder of why won-loss record is not the best measure – the only two Cardinals starters with an above-.500 record this season are Hudson and… Wacha.

P.S. The only relievers above .500 are Gant and Martinez. Then, there is Ponce at 1-0, joining one group or the other…

Participant

Free

yes but wacha has a terrible era which is a better indicator of performance. baseball at almost every level outside of the youngest is about giving guys that have shown they are hungry to compete the chance to do that while guys that have slipped are given a chance to reflect and work on things to get them back to where they were.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Ponce deserves to start. However, I wish Wacha had the opportunity to start 2 more times. I was hoping to increase his trade value. Since June 1, Wacha’s ERA is 3.77. If you take out what he did in May, Wacha has a 4.25 ERA. With a couple more decent starts, Wacha might have been able to be a key piece in a trade for some young talent.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years