Set for 2022?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Set for 2022?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

With the emergence of our outfield, the play of Sosa, a healing rotation, and youngsters like Gorman, Liberatore, Burleson, Yepez, and Donovan coming on strong, are we really pretty well set for 2022? We’ll have a lot to potentially spend with all the money coming off the books, but where do we need to spend it?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The priorities: Good pen lefty with MLB experience for situational use. Mid rotation innings eater. AAA pitching depth.

Pretty important: We could use a better backup catcher option behind Yadi. If he goes down early we are screwed.

We also need a better bench but that could come from within possibly. A veteran hitter would be nice.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

We need at least 1 starting pitcher since Waino, Lester, Happ and Kim are not yet signed for next year. 2 quality SPs would be better. If there is a DH next year, we need to sign a bat. I am fine with Sosa, Edman and DeJong to fill the middle INF but wouldn’t mind seeing if we could get an upgrade for DeJong. We will need to either re-sign some relievers or pick up a couple of them. McFarland, Leblanc, Garcia and A. Miller are all free agents.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Given the need for pitching and given what Sosa has shown, it seems sensible to give him a year in the lineup and see what happens. There is no internal solution for the pitching depth problem so I would hope Mo does not dilute resources needed for that.

bccran
    Participant

SS should be well covered with Sosa and Edman. Gorman will probably take over the 2B spot sometime in the first half of the season. Donovan gives us nice depth. DeJong no longer has a role IMHO.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman will probably be tried at DH and get spot reps at 2B. Edman is not getting pushed out of the lineup without an alternative legit leadoff hitter.

Because someone played SS in college doesn’t mean they can in MLB. A prospect is not moved off SS for no good reason. I think the middle infield will be as we are seeing now.

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Get me a lefty bench bat to be part time DH and to spell in at 1B now and then. Otherwise I’m pretty ok with the position players.

Pitchers depend in part on which FAs they resign. Flaherty, Hudson, Waino, Mikolas, Reyes/Woodford, with Liberatore and maybe Hicks for depth, I feel less need for a starter, but wouldn’t mind one for depth given three of those guys are coming back from injuries. An innings eating vet who could throw 5 as a starter if need be seems like a good add, if LeBlanc can’t fill the space.

bccran
    Participant

Gags! Great to see you! It’s been a long time.

The rotation is an interesting study. Flaherty, Hudson, and
    Mikolas for sure. Waino wants to come back, so I’m sure
    they will find a way. That leaves the #5 spot. My guess is that they’ll re-sign either Happ or Lester. It would be interesting to see which of the 2 the posters would prefer.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We need one more starter who can eat innings and bring back the pen except A. Miller.

On offense we need a big LH bat for DH.

I think DeJong and Reyes could be trade bait.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

We look to be pretty-well set, although there are a few minor moves to make. I like the starting eight, and bringing Gorman up to fill in as a DH and occasionally rotate in at third or second. DeJong could be a nice bench player as well, but may need to learn to play somewhere other than shortstop. He can probably do that though – shortstops can usually play just about anywhere. He becomes the Carpenter of ’22, but hopefully provides more offense in a bench/part-time role. Not everyone can do that.

Good, young outfield with Nooty likely the fourth guy. Maybe Williams can earn his way back with a strong spring. I like Rondon as well.

My guess is Waino comes back for one last go, and goes out with Yadi after the season. I would be okay bringing Lester back, but the starting pitching could get crowded when you add Flaherty, Hudson, Mikolas, Woodford, Liberatore and perhaps Reyes and Thompson to the mix. But we all know that attrition ends up taking away a lot of pitching depth. Ticket Gallegos and Cabrera as two relivers and fill in from there. Hicks is sort of a wild card, both literally and figuratively. Just don’t know what you will get from him.

Bring Garcia back. Move on from Kim, Happ, Andrew Miller, and Carpenter. McFarland and LeBlanc are possible returnees as well. Depends on who rises to a starting role and who ends up transitioning to the ‘pen.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that DeJong and Reyes could be trade bait. DeJong is too good of a player to sit on the bench all season long. Reyes needs to go to an organization that can afford to let him build confidence at the major league level. Reyes was once considered the number one MLB prospect in all of baseball, and that was because of the filthiness of his pitches. It’s just that the Cardinals will be competing for a pennant in the next few years and Reyes still needs time to develop.
    The front office will want something that can definitely help them if they trade Reyes, or DeJong.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

I guess I will be the odd one out here. I’m as excited as everyone else with this streak. But I see some that are living on this adrenaline. I think the needs are still what they were before this hot streak. A proven stud Outfielder. A strong 2-3 starter. A strong lefty for the pen. A new Pitching Coach. A new hitting Coach. A new Manager. Mo gone. I think when some of you come off this high you may feel differently.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have a good talent base, but still need more. We need at least one, maybe two LH bats. SS, 2B or OF/DH are the spots…I’d still target (in order) Seager, Conforto, and maybe Max Kepler for a trade candidate. Some more relief help wouldn’t hurt, although I think the bullpen should be better next year by default. Finally, a mid rotation or better starter would be a great asset. Robbie Ray will be costly now but he’s a guy I loved before this year that I’d think about again. Marcus Stroman would be a big hit with our defense. It’s not an absolute must to spend money but I think the team could stand to upgrade a couple of positions this off-season and be in shape to be a serious contender next year.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

If we want a legitimate chance to win the world series, we need a front-line starter.

Also need relief depth. Garcia and McFarland have been huge additions for the second half, as have LeBlanc and Lester in the rotation. Probably need a second starting pitcher along those lines.

DH – we have Yepez and Gorman as possible candidates. Also Brendan Donovan.

Left-handed bech bat – Nootbar has his OPS up to .728. He’ll get better with more at-bats against major league pitchers. Gorman also bats left.

DeJong – he is fine as a bench bat, his contract is not a burden on the team. He is set to make $6 million next year.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Agree on Stroman and Ray. I wouldn’t count on Waino as a Top 3 guy. But I damn for sure wouldn’t count him out either. Trade possibility is always there, but not a lot to offer other than Dejong and Bader. Both have helped out with that the last couple days. If they wanna save money do it with Sosa at SS. Though I think as many that are available you have to take a serious look. Sosa and Edman both have the ability to play multi positions.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards are 1st in team OPS vs LHP in the majors at .808. They’re 21st in OPS against RHP. It seems the easy upgrade is against the pitching that you face 70% of the time. The team weak spots are RF (28th), 2B (22nd in MLB), and C (20th). Other ranks vs RHP: DH 16th in a small sample, SS 12th, 3B 12th, CF 11th, 1B 9th, LF 7th.

Btw the team is 12th in starting wOBA and 8th in relief wOBA. This with a decimated staff that I don’t believe should be expected to have such bad luck again next year. I’d love a front line starter but I think the Cards could win the Central with just a normal year from Flaherty, Hudson and support from guys like Waino, Lester/Happ, Kim, Libby and the Memphis gang. But a Ray or a Stroman puts you up there with the Brewers for pitching with a better offense to boot.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well a lot depends on who off this team returns. But I believe our outfield is fine. The outfield defense is excellent and I want to keep it that way. Far as the infield, I’m not sold that sosa is the long term answer. Dejongs numbers outside average and strikeouts aren’t bad. Maybe he works on things and we have a healthy competition in spring.i think we should go after a really good starter that fits our team. Stroman would be a great addition. If they aren’t set on our shortstops, maybe go after story, I don’t see them paying seager what he wants. We could get a better closer but a lot depends on hicks health. I think a great starter that we can sign to a long term deal would be best but we will see.

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nootbar might be the lefty DH, but I’m wondering if the league will figure him out, thus the desire for someone who’s a vet.

Hiya Cranny-

Yup. Been awhile! I’m wondering what’s up with Lester’s shoulder. Lots of mileage. If they have him on a good bill of health, maybe. But I don’t think I want Lester taking up a space one of the other guys could take.

My pipe dream is to bring Scherzer back to his hometown and a chance to work with Molina and Waino as Scherzer figures out how to thrive as he gets older.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Assuming a DH, the guy to target in free agency is Schwarber. He’s a LH hitter and has crushed RH pitching his whole life. He could play OF and not kill you if you needed although, we’d likely have either Nootbarr or DeJong (Edman in OF) on the roster as well.

If we could manage a trade, Brandon Nimmo would be crazy good. He’s a lot like Schwarber, LH hitter, outfielder, insane walk rate.

Both of these options are likely too rich for our blood.

Ideally, I’d rather Gorman play some more in AAA next year, at least thru May, but Yepez is likely ready for the bigs.

My guess is they target someone like Mark Canha, Kyle Seaver, or Kole Calhoun to hold us over until Yepez and then Gorman can contribute.

We are really set at all the positions though otherwise.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Pitching wise, obviously Scherzer would be amazing. Other, more high risk veterans like Grienke, Verlander, or Syndergaard would be palatable.

Some good relief pitching options could be Brad Hand, who hasn’t been closing since being traded, but would see the obvious possibility of closing here. I really like Daniel Norris as a bounce back LH candidate as well.

If Reyes is tried at starting also, a couple good RH relievers would be Knebel, Archie Bradley, or old friend, Ottavino. Iglesias if they can splurge, or Rosenthal if they’d be up for a bounce back guy.

bccran
    Participant

Gorman, Burleson, and Donovan are all left handed bats that are nearly ready. Plummer and Capel are coming up behind them. Do we really need Schwarber?

Yepez might fill the DH slot against LH pitching.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

fWAR by position:

C 0.2
    1B 4.7
    2B 1.5
    SS 3.3
    3B 4.2
    OF 9.7

The OF is pretty solid but a lot of that is defensive value. If we get a jump from Carlson from solid average to plus with the bat, that would negate some of the need to add to the OF. The need in the middle IF is dependent on how real you think Sosa is. The issue is that you have a bumper crop of SS available that isn’t likely to be matched any time soon, so sitting tight wrongly or mistakenly passing over Sosa for the big ticket SS has consequences. I feel like adding to the OF doesn’t have near the consequence as there’s probably going to be some room with the DH, like Pads said. I’d still rather grab a starting caliber OFer for some assurance though. The Dodgers prove that you can never have too many good players.

bccran
    Participant

Do anyone know why Kramer Robertson doesn’t get any attention? He put together a decent season at Memphis this year –

Games – 116
    PAs – 457
    .255/.366/.419/.785
    11 home runs
    62 RBI
    11 SBs
    Only 3 errors in 153 innings as SS

Isn’t he a classic depth guy?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

Do anyone know why Kramer Robertson doesn’t get any attention?

Robertson is currently our no. 37 ranked prospect.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

I figured Robertson would be getting released this off-season.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years