September's Bullpen

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum September's Bullpen

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s been no secret that the bullpen has been a big key to the Cards’ success this year, even with the downturn/injury to Reyes and the loss of Hicks. It certainly looks like the team should add three more guys to the stable of arms once rosters expand:

Fernandez
    Ponce de Leon
    Cabrera

Each of these guys could be more than just roster filler/innings eating types. In addition, Gomber looks to be pitching again and could be another, although that’s a longer shot. So the bullpen could look like:

Right:

Martinez
    Gallegos
    Brebbia
    Gant
    Helsley
    Ponce de Leon
    Leone

Left:

Miller
    Webb
    Cabrera
    Gomber

The offense will still be the key to making the postseason, but Shildt should have some pretty nice weapons available to keep his bullpen fresh and effective in the event that the starting pitching falters in any game. This should be an advantage that the Cards have over the Cubs in the final month.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am sceptical that Gomber gets called up

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cabrera has electric stuff but very little control. I am not sure I would trust him in a pennant race unless it was mop up duty. I know he was great last night for Memphis but he is still too erratic right now but is someone with a lot of potential for the future.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscottar, I don’t know that any of the callups will be asked to be front and center, but what it will do is allow guys like Cabrera or Fernandez to eat some innings when we have the Wacha or Waino 4 inning start. Then we can save Gallegos, Brebbia, Gant, etc for the high leverage spots. Having more capable pitchers will only help us against the Cubs, who have a shell of a bullpen at this point.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of bullpens, check out last night’s K.C. pitching lines in their loss vs Oakland. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that before?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not much of an effort, eh Pugs? Let’s hope the Cards’ pen is lights out in September and ready to lead the team into the playoffs. I already know that Ponce will be a nice upgrade, as will Fernandez and Cabrera could be huge if he keeps pitching well.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why not Gomber CC? Another arm can always be used.Did you read Brian`s callup prediction article.I hope he is correct.Would like to see Woodford also.Justin Williams too.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont think Gomber will be ready. He will only have about 15 days of rehab before the minor league sessons are over. His fitst outing did not go well. I dont see putting him in a situation that we need to trust him. There are enough other bodies that he isnt needed for mop up duty. I would rather shut him down than rush him back.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After reading Derek’s article on Whitley….. could it be possible?

At this time it’s hard for me to imagine Cabrera having enough control to be useful in a race for the postseason. IMHO, they ought to wait until next year, let him show what he can do for over several outings, then let’s see how he can do at the major league level.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would think Whitley will be here in 2020 at some point. He’s looked good this year and could be a weapon at some point.

I’m fairly sure Cabrera will be up. If nothing else he can eat an inning or two in the laughers. His stuff is too good not to take at least a flier on.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

For the first time that I can remember, the bullpen isn’t a “Need they must address” going into 2020. The rotation is a completely different story.

These guys are all options for 2020, and pretty darned good ones at that. Also, who knows what will happen with Waino and Wacha.
    – Gallegos
    – Miller
    – Brebbia
    – Gant
    – Webb
    – Fernandez
    – Cabrera
    – Ponce
    – Gomber
    – Leone(depends on Sept performance)
    – Hicks(midseason)
    – Whitley(midseason)

That’s assuming Helsley is given a shot in the rotation or at least given a chance to be. If not, then he’d definitely be in the top 7.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It certainly looks good now but relievers are odd ducks. They can really fluctuate from year to year. You sometimes don’t know what you are going to get. I wouldn’t mind putting a Brad Hand in the mix if the opportunity arose but I agree that the rotation is a much higher priority.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Heard Drew Robinson released to0day.Open 40-man spot……Wonder if Woodford getting the spot and coming up in September?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.