Rosters and Rehab Assignments

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Rosters and Rehab Assignments

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

I was at the Springfield Cardinals game last night (Saturday), in which Wong played and Siegrist was ready in the bullpen. I am curious about the roster rules surrounding rehab assignments. For example:

(1) Do players on rehab assignment affect that team’s 25- (or 35-) man roster numbers? That is, does the team have to make room for them, or are they otherwise limited in which roster players they can use if they also play someone on a rehab assignment?

(2) Can a rehab assignment be at any minor league level, or only certain ones? Which are most common?

(3) Are only MLB-players eligible for rehab assignments? Or, could a minor-league contracted player on the Memphis roster make a rehab assignment at Springfield or Palm Beach? Could a major-league contracted player on optional assignment in the minors who has been put on that team’s DL make a rehab assignment at a lower minor league level than the one to which he was optioned?

I know there will be readers here who know the rules!

Thanks,
    Joe

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1) No. Rehabbers are over and above the regular roster with a limit of three at once per team.
    2) Any level. Often times, locations are selected based on who is home, making travel easier for the MLB player. Of course, Jupiter is a logical starting place for many. Also, the level of competition matters more when the player is getting close to being ready.
    3) Anyone can rehab anywhere. For example, currently Memphis pitchers Arturo Reyes and Rowan Wick are rehabbing in the GCL. So was Palm Beach infielder Andrew Brodbeck.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

This is great info, Brian. Thank you.

Participant

Paid - Annual

On this topic, I’m curious if certain rehabbers are sent to certain minor league teams to fill a void? And how about them avoiding certain minor league teams because they don’t particularly need a player at the position of the rehabber, thus taking playing time away from prospects that need it? I was told that the rehabber has a certain say on where he goes. This whole rehab assignment issue is still puzzles me.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We are usually only talking about a handful of games so I don’t think blocking prospects and position balance are key factors. As I have spoken with Cardinals officials, the factors I mentioned above are what I heard. Home/lack of travel and level of competition based on the spot in the rehab being the important ones.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks BW for the kick back. I guess the factors you mentioned and the MLBer’s rehab trumps everything else.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Rehab is at the player’s option. So a player can dictate where his rehab will take place by just refusing to go to rehab otherwise.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Practically speaking, most MLB players work with the team on a rehab plan and do not make demands – at least not that we hear about.

Since we are also talking about minor leaguers in this thread, it should be understood that they don’t have the same clout as the big-leaguers.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Speaking of rehabs, Siegrist’s has ended and he has now been activated by St. Louis. He essentially took Weaver’s spot.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A bit concerning, since they mentioned his velocity was down. Maybe giving him his shot until Duke returns. I don’t know that we need 4 lefties in the pen at that point though.

Participant

Free

We wouldn’t. It’s overkill and my guess his he’ll hit the DL sometime after Duke returns.

And I don’t even want to see them not use him. We have 13 pitchers for a reason and if he’s going to be used every 4 days due to concerns about injury and diminished velocity then Weaver should’ve been kept.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years