Red Sox fire Dave Dombrowski

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Red Sox fire Dave Dombrowski

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some people are surprised about this because they won the world series last year but I think it is the right move. I have always thought Dombrowski was over rated. His tenure with a team usually ends up in a big mess. He buys some expensive players, guts the farm system, has one or two really good years, then leaves the organization with a big mess to clean up. Oh and he can never build a bullpen.

Smart move by the Sox.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The strange part is, whether or not you agree with Dombrowski’s “win now” approach, the Red Sox knew who they were hiring. Seems like they wanted to eat the cake last year and now they want to have the cake.

Some talk about tank now to win later. In this case maybe it’s more like win now and suffer later. It can be a great approach if you don’t count the suffering part.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some small-market teams would love to get that shot at the WS even if it meant going back into obscurity again.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

The new regime will likely want to shake things up and will likely be told to get under the luxury tax level for a restart on that.

Is there a world in which they trade David Price? It’s possible no one on their roster would be untouchable if they “retool”.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Kind of unexpected considering that the guy had won 3 pennants and a World Series since coming to Boston in 2015. Wonder what happens to LaRussa now. I think he will probably move on since he was a Dombrowski friend. I bet Dombrowski finds another job pretty quick but it will have to be somebody with money as he is a known spender. That eliminates the Cards for all you Mo haters.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

858booyah
    Participant

Free

It would’ve been tolerable if they were in the WC hunt but they’re on the outside looking in. on that as well.

Boston knew who they were getting. Then again as been pointed out they’ve gone through GM’s like crazy.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

I think its really a sad state of affairs when you fire somebody a year after winning a world series unless its a personal conduct situation. while teams should always try to win, jobs and such shouldn’t be on such a fragile wire that one disappointing season can turn things into turmoil. maybe the baseball gods should hit them with another long streak of not winning it all.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had been wondering if the Sox would have interest in Mo. Ben Frederickson brought this up in his chat yesterday.

Q: If the Cardinals make a deep postseason run, are the bad moves by president of baseball operations John Mozeliak simply forgotten by the front office?

BenFred: Shouldn’t a deep postseason run be considered when taking stock of a president of baseball operations? That — returning to the postseason — what this season was supposed to be about, right?

The ownership and Mozeliak are aligned, and there have been no signs — even when the Cardinals were struggling — that this will change.Here’s something to chew on.

More than wondering if Mozeliak will be fired, it might be worth wondering if he could be of interest to the Red Sox.

If Boston grew tired of Dave Dombrowski’s heavy spending and practice of swapping prospect talent for production now, and Red Sox want to try a more sustained success model, it would make sense to look to St. Louis as blueprint, but with a Boston payroll.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I keep trying to post to today’s game thread but keep getting an error message telling me I cannot post at this time and to try later. Have had this before and edited the post and it went through but not this time. Just want to see if I can send a post to another thread.

Also, I tried to email Brian and quoted the post in that email and it got rejected.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatar Minuteman3.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I hope LaRussa leaves. Someone commented what a bang up job he did in Arizona but front what I could read his handpicked GM, Dave Stewart, left before he could be fired and Tony’s job title was dropped a notch plus the D’Backs didn’t play up to expectations. I wish Tony well but don’t think Boston is his kind of operation but I know he liked Dave Dombrowski so why would he stay for the same treatment.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TLR was the man in charge in Arizona. In Boston, he is an advisor, with no direct management responsibility. Very different.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Doesn’t make sense to invite LaRussa to return until you choose a new GM.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Which is how the Red Sox do things. They had employed something like eight former GMs. Too may cooks. Tough job.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years