Ranking TV broadcast crews

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Ranking TV broadcast crews

Tagged: 

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Athletic ran a survey. The Cardinals are in the middle of the pack at 14th. Positive is Danny Mac. Negative is the carousel of analysts.

Mets and Giants are nos. 1 and 2.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This should get some response. MM3 loves those guys and I’m sure thinks they are #1! Haha

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I don’t give much thought one way or the other about most announcers, but I think a couple guys are usually irritating. That would be Welsh (Reds) and Santangelo (Nats). Also, the Pirates crew is irritating to me at times, yet likable other times.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I disagree Euro, I think Welsh is outstanding!

The one that gets on my nerves is Carpenter of the Nats and his homerun call – SEE…..YOU…..LATER!!!
    That just irritates the heck out of me.

The Giants duo of Kuiper and Krukow is outstanding. And I think DeShaies and Kasper of the Cubs are very good too.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I do not hear the non-Cardinals crews enough to know about them. When I had cable back in the day the Rockies main guy, Drew Goodman, was great. Former Cardinal George Frazier was the main color guy for quite awhile and I liked him, but he was not all that popular around here I don’t think.

I like our teams in general, and enjoy the variety of guys teamed up with Danny.

Like was said earlier, I am sure MM3 will give all of the Cardinals combinations top billing, as he enjoys the announcers more than the games! 🙂

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

I still have nightmares of “You can put it on the board, Yes!” from the White Sox crew 20 years ago.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I really like Brian Anderson of the Brewers. He’s gotten some national broadcast games on Fox, including playoff games.

I like the Rockies broadcast. Actually I like a of stuff the Rockies do on social media and in the broadcast. Very top notch team imo.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I disagree Euro, I think Welsh is outstanding!

Maybe I haven’t watched him enough, Rat, but his analysis seems to me to often be condescending of players who play the game better than he did.

For some reason, seeing your post made me think of Pugs. Anybody know why he hasn’t posted in a while?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Hawk Harrelson was the guy with the “Put on the board – Yes!” Call. (Can’t get my iPad to not capitalize “call”).

The Rockies do some good stuff, and really promote to the younger crowd. The downtown area is a young person’s place, and the Rockies are a big part of the summer scene. They always draw well even with mediocre teams. There is criticism that the games are an excuse to party and only a fraction in attendance are real fans. That may be true to a degree, but in occasionally mingling with the party people, there are a lot who are into the game.

I do not care much for the Rockies’ radio crew, but as I mentioned Drew Goodman is real good on the TV side.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After speaking with his doctor, Tim McCarver changed his mind and has decided not to travel to cover Cardinals games in 2020.

https://twitter.com/STLCardsNews/status/1283372765131792385

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I really like McCarver, which is a minority opinion I know. But I like the way he bridges the gap between generations of Cardinals personnel. The story he told on a broadcast one time about introducing Bob Gibson to Willie Mays back in the day was hilarious.

Part of my thoughts about McCarver are due to seeing him back in the ’70s after a game. I was a teenager and my buddy and I were hanging out by the clubhouse exit at Busch Stadium. The players would come out and usually bolt for their cars or the hotel. McCarver though, spent a lot of time talking to fans and seemed to enjoy the banter. He was just a regular guy, and even gave people tips on how to approach a player so as not to get on their bad side. He understood the fan’s disappointment at often getting the brush off from players.

Hope he is back in ’21.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, Totally enjoyed Tim’s “Bird” clip!! Where did you find it? Great!!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It was posted on Twitter. Too good to not share!

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I’m in bikemike’s minority camp on McCarver. He’s certainly not perfect, but his pluses outweigh the minuses. Cookie cutter analysts are just white noise to me, so I’m more likely to listen to a guy like McCarver. Plus, he’s a loyal Cardinal.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Agreed Euro. Timmy’s a baseball guy who experienced playing for several teams, and even got a ring as a Philadelphia Phillie. But most guys tend to identify closest with the organization they went through the minors with, and played for in the majors as long as it was a representative time frame. McCarver was a Cardinal during his prime and won three flags, so that is where his heart lies.

Keith Hernandez is the same way, which we have discussed in depth on the Cardinal Hall of Fame thread. I think Andy Van Slyke is still a big Cardinal fan as well, although he stays true to his Pittsburgh identity as well.

Participant

Free

This should get some response. MM3 loves those guys and I’m sure thinks they are #1! Haha

Well I let this thread cool for a month so now I can post.
    Ya see I get stuck sometimes on a guys history – good and bad.
    DannyMac – 2 DWIs come up first. Putting his booze in front of peoples lives. He is a good broadcaster and if you don’t think so just ask him.
    McCarver or the Virus – At my age I choose McCarver but make sure the mute button is greased. But at nearly my age, he has also seen the light and hunkered down for the season.
    Thompson – thinks a silent moment is his cue to a 20 minute rant.
    Ricky – Darned nice guy, means well, but sees it all thru a pitcher’s eyes. (same for Thompson)
    Al Hungarian – still mumbling through his stache on the post game shows.
    Edmonds – best of the analysts because he KNOWS what goes on at positions other than pitcher.

Other teams – The guy at Minnesota who I listened to years ago while sitting in a farm tractor going round after round after round. Worstest – Ron Darling.
    I prefer a one man booth but that is not done any more since Mr LA retired. He will always be #1

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with most of that MM3, especially on DannyMac and Edmonds.

I would differ on Darling though. I think he is very good.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My POV is that one of the reasons the Mets booth is so good is they have a pitching analyst and a position player analyst both plus a strong PBP guy to keep them on track. If you don’t have the right combination of personalities, though, it could turn into a train wreck. I wouldn’t go as far as calling the ESPN national games that, but you need on air talent who mesh and complement each other. That is not easy to accomplish.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years