Quality Starts-The Final Report

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Quality Starts-The Final Report

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar SoonerinNC 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have tracked quality starts of our minor league pitchers throughout the season. This includes quality starts made after promotion to the major league team. My arbitrary criteria is at least five innings with an ERA under 4.50 for that start. I also considered it a start when a rehab pitcher starts the game pitches one inning and the regular starter took over. Here are the final results.

20 – Jack Flaherty
    19 – Ryan Helsley
    18 – Luke Weaver, Dakota Hudson
    16 – Zac Gallen, Austin Gomber
    15 – Conor Jones, Mike O’Reilly
    13 – Matt Pearce, Jake Woodford, Ian Oxnevad
    11 – Sandy Alcantara, Jordan Hicks
    10 – John Gant
    8 – Mike Mayers, Anthony Shew, Andrew Summerville,
    7 – Sam Tewes, Derian Gonzalez, Daniel Castano, Diego Cordero, Jon Mulford
    Evan Kruczynski
    6 – Frederis Parra, Austin Warner, Francis Ventura, Ramon Santos
    5 – Johan Oviedo, Alvaro Seijas, Evan Guillory, Junior Fernandez Winston Nicacio, Junior Gonzalez
    4 – Angel Rondon, Emmanuel Solano, Wilfredo Pereira, Jose Moreno, Bryan Dobranski
    3 – Daniel Poncedeleon, Juan Perez, Josh Zeid, Paul Balestrieri, Edwar Ramirez, Jacob Schlesener,
    Zach Prendergast,
    2 – Arturo Reyes, Pedro Echemendia, Kevin Herget, Steven Farinaro, John Kilichowski, Austin Sexton,
    Brian Pirela
    1 – Tyler Lyons, Alinson Benitez, Hector Soto

Ellis also had a few quality starts but somehow he dropped through the cracks. Sorry about that.
    Another way of looking at this is the percentage of starts that were quality. The top was Ramon Santos; 6 of 6 or 100% of his starts were quality.
    Others of note
    Helsley (82.6%), Summerville (80.0%), Weaver (72.0%), Flaherty (66.7%), Jones (65.2%), Hudson (62.1%), Gomber (61.5%), O’Reilly (60.0%), Woodford (59.1%), Hicks (57.9%), Gallen (57.1%), Shew (57.1%) Oxnevad (54.2%) and Alcantara (50.0%).

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Avatar SoonerinNC.
    14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Sooner… QSs is a good indication of effectiveness. Since you’ve done the research, could you give the full list in percentages. It would allow for short-season starters to be weighed equally in that role. Also, some pitchers crossed over to starting, like Santos, who was super effective but only started a handful of games (min 5 starts). I track Game Start #s. I consider those to be a valuable indicator also.

I am going to be doing my predictions for prospect placements and your info will help. Thanks.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Guillory (71.4%), Cordero (63.6%), Nicacio (62.5%), Parra (60.0%), Perez,J ((60.0%), Schlesener (60.0%), Junior Gonzalez (55.6%), Kruczynski (53.8%), Mayers, Tewes, Castano, Warner, Ventura, Poncedeleon, Prendergast, and Soto all (50.0%), Derian Gonzalez (46.7%), Mulford (46.7%), Pearce (44.8%), Solano (44.4%), Seijas (41.7%), Pereira, Edhemendia and Sexton (40.0%), Rondon and Moreno (36.4%), Oviedo (35.75), Dobranski and Arturo Reys (33.3%), Junior Fernandez (31.3%), Ramirez (27.3%), Zeid and Balestrieri (25%), Farinaro (22.2%), Kilichowski and Pirela (20%), Herget (18.2%), Lyons (16.7%) a lot of rehab one inning starts; Benitez (16.7%)

Herget had a number of bullpen starts before becoming a part of the rotation. He had a couple of key starts in the post season including one dominating start against El Paso where he gave up 4 hits along with one walk and 15 strikeouts in 8 innings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years