Problem at clean up

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Problem at clean up

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Given the players on the roster today, would you make a change at the cleanup position (and if so, who?) or ride it out with Gyorko?

NJ315
    Participant

Put Grichuk there and leave him there for the rest of the season.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why would we want Grichuk there when all he does is strikeout?

And anybody that thinks Giancarlo Gyorko is the answer to our cleanup slot is crazy. I’ve said all along he will end up about his norm, around .250 with 20 homers. He is trending that way right now.

One glaring weakness, as a lot of posters have said, is that we need a big bat in the lineup. That’s why we should go after Giancarlo Stanton hammer and tong. We’ve got enough young players with high ceilings that we should be able to land Stanton. Assuming, of course, the new Miami ownership is willing to deal. We’ve got enough young outfielders – Piscotty, Grichuk, Pham, Fowler, Martinez, Bader, Sierra – and enough young pitchers – Weaver, Flaherty, and the others – that gives us enough depth if we have to part ways with some to land Stanton.

The one untouchable is, of course, Alex Reyes.

r/Rat

NJ315
    Participant

Because he has the most raw power on the team. Of course he k’s a lot but he has the best chance of hitting homers and that’s the perfect spot for that. Brian asked about the current roster. Of the current roster he is the only one that even comes close to a 4th hitter and that’s why this team is at best mediocre.

bccran
    Participant

DeJong –

At Memphis this year – 13 HR in 190 PAs.
    At St. Louis this year – 14 HRs in 213 PAs.

Total – 27 HRS in 403 PAs.

Had 8 HRs in 101 PAs in July.

Major league home run production extended to 600 plate appearances – 40 HRs.

Has slumped lately, but perhaps he can come back strong in August and September. Put him at #4 and leave him there?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nobody guessed Friday’s choice with Gyorko sitting – Stephen Piscotty, who is 1-for-8 with a walk and 3 Ks since coming off the DL.

His last extra-base hit was on July 2, 46 plate appearances ago.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Yeah lets put somebody who stinks more and strikes out even more at 4…heck no

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Nobody here has accused Matheny of having any CLUE when it comes to managing so that does not shock me at all

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We don’t have a cleanup hitter on the roster, which is not Matheny’s fault by the way. It doesn’t really matter who he puts in that slot. They are all equally bad.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Matheny used Gyorko as a pinch hitter in the 7th tonight in a rare scoring situation (two on and two outs). Gyorko struck out swinging on a pitch in the dirt. He’s struggling, to say the least.

I certainly wouldn’t pick Piscotty as the cleanup guy, but we simply don’t have a real option. Voit, Grichuk, or DeJong is about it if it’s not Gyorko. Seriously, how did Mo ever think this was going to work?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Grichuk strikes out with the bases loaded, two outs, and a 3-2 pitch. He was caught looking on a borderline breaking pitch. His second strikeout of the game.

Anybody want him to in the cleanup slot now??? You’d have to be utterly stupid.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I know this sounds crazy but why not try Fowler at clean up upon his return?

Carpenter
    Pham
    Dejong
    Fowler
    Gyorko/Garcia-(Garcia hits 8th when he plays)
    Molina
    Piscotty/Martinez/Grichuk
    Wong

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

We are probably stuck with Gyorko, who you have to hope can get back to his earlier form. Piscotty is about the last guy you want there. Why he put him there when he cannot square up a pitch to save his life is beyond me.

I think you go this way, if you have given up on Carpenter being anything but a lead off hitter.

Carpenter
    Wong
    Pham
    Gyorko
    DeJong
    Molina
    Grichuk
    Piscotty

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not ideal with your only 2 LHH batting first and second, but I can’t come up with a better lineup. What changes do you make with Fowler returning? I am not sure I am with booyah’s idea of cleanup. Sad situation when two of your OFs would be batting 7th and 8th, but that is the roster.

bccran
    Participant

DeJong, although he got off to a hot start, is not a proven major leaguer yet. He needs to counter back the adjustments the pitchers have made.

Gyorko, although having shown some success as a starter, is really best as a super utility 5th infielder.

Grichuk has a hole in his bat.

Piscotty is messed up with all the adjustments to his swing.

Fowler is best at lead off.

Carp is best at lead off.

Pham at least can drive in runs. Maybe he’s best there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.