PLEASE READ: SITE CUTOVER TUESDAY NIGHT

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum PLEASE READ: SITE CUTOVER TUESDAY NIGHT

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The testing is done and we plan to migrate the entire site to a new hosting service tonight, Tuesday, March 30. The site may be up and down for a two-hour window starting at 11 p.m. CT. Please do not make posts on the forum during that time.

On the other side, we should have a better performing and more reliable site. Thank you for your support.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thank you for making the effort to improve our experience of the site, Brian. Looking forward to having a smoother working site.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

An early birthday present of sorts for me then I guess, as I turn 42 tomorrow on the 31st, and my oldest nephew turns 30…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Happy Birthday to you and your nephew.

DsFan
    Participant

Brian, Thanks. Technology is a great thing!!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Are we going to have our first game thread after the site comes back up? It will probably be Wednesday morning before most on here see it so why not fire away? It would only be a little over 24 hours until the first pitch of 2021.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hard to believe that you’re 42 already, Logan. It seems like yesterday when you were a young pup. My older brother would have turned the big 60 tomorrow too……if he had not driven drunk off a cliff outside Payson, Arizona some 22 years ago. Luckily, he was by himself at the time. Patience Rat…..our maiden game thread on our new site is nearly upon us….thanks Brian, UCONN & BicycleMike!

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I feel old given that said nephew already has a three year old daughter and an almost 9 month old son, so I’m already an uncle and a great uncle…my dad would have been 71 in August had pancreatic cancer not done him in back in 2014…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Much faster page loading this morning.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Indeed, pretty snappy. Thanks for the upgrade!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please share any problems you encounter with as much detail as possible. Thank you.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see any new changes after last night’s much anticipated cutover. Is there a new PM ( private mail ) feature that I’m not seeing? My lessor half continues to badger me about excessive emails. Sure would be nice to cut down on those. Go Birds!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Where is Game Thread #1 already???

We are 24 hours from the 1st pitch of the 2021 season and no game thread!!!

r/Esteemed Rat

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

My older brother would have turned the big 60 tomorrow

Sorry for your loss Pugsly. No joke, I met a man who went off an eighty foot cliff in a car, and his testimony is that the Lord Jesus met him on the way down in a saving relationship, with the gift of faith. He survived in a wheelchair, and his testimony has encouraged many people with lost family members.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There was no functional change to the site, at least not on purpose. It was moved to a new hosting service that specializes in WordPress systems. The result should be faster page loading and fewer outages. The latter had been an increasing problem during the off-season. The target was to complete all work prior to Opening Day.

The downside is my costs increased over five-fold, but I really had no choice but to upgrade the infrastructure. The good news for many of you is that five times no charge is still zero. And my continued gratitude to those who subscribe, as that pays the bills. Nothing is truly free.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

I’ve thought about subscribing but it isn’t in my budget as a student getting another masters degree and not working. I’ve canceled all my sports stuff and don’t even pay for cable or the new-fangled plans (Hulu, Disney, etc) I’m age 65+. Just yesterday I went online hoping to find a student subscription rate here, because I do value even the free stuff. Failing that, I’d be happy to contribute $20-40 for “free stuff”, if you have a Patron setup or some such. Or a middle-of-the-road package with 10 articles a year, or some such.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The student subscription price is something I will consider. I do understand the special hardships many have faced in the last year. Recreation is the first thing that is cut (and frankly should be) when money gets tight. That coupled with no 2020 minor league season put a major dent in our finances, but we are still here and hopefully will be for a long time.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

PS I can sympathize with how costly “free stuff” is. 90% of my lifetime after tax earnings has gone into building a free online Bible website (google blue Bible) that has 25,000,000 unique free readers and over 5 billion page views, 2m per day. Only one person in a thousand will contribute.

1982 willie
    Participant

Thanks for updating Brian. You always do a great job.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I hope this upgrade will do away with all those errors I was getting that caused me not to be able to post.

“Your post cannot be created at this time”……..or something like that.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thank you, So_Cal. Sounds like that disabled gentleman you met would be quite inspiring. When I made mention of my deceased brother, an awful thought immediately ensued. That being that at least 6 months had just passed before I had even thought of him. I’m not proud of that. I know time does heal, but that 6 month duration seems ridiculously excessive.

Go Birds!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.