Pitching To Three Batters Rule

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Pitching To Three Batters Rule

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is that cemented in stone? Are we 100% certain that is going to be a rule next year?

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep Rat, it’s going to happen next year. But by name, it’s a little misleading. It’s a three-batter minimum or until the last out of the inning. So if you bring a reliever in with two outs, he has to pitch to just one batter if he gets that batter out.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Anybody have a stat on how often that would have affected the Cards this year?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this is one of the dumbest rules ever. I get trying to shorten the games by limiting pitching changes but this rule seems over the top.

One thing this rule does is to give a big advantage to lineups who are balanced with LH and RH batters.

skippy mckill
    Participant

Free

I think they focus on the wrong things to make the game “better.”

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

It’s dumb, unnecessary and takes a tool away from managers.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I think they focus on the wrong things to make the game “better.”

Sometimes I get that feeling too and wonder if they’re considering the trade offs accurately. They want to appeal to a younger audience, but risk alienating the existing fan base with some changes. Loyalty isn’t permanent. Twenty-five years ago, I would never miss the big NCAA football/basketball games, NFL, and NBA playoffs. They have evolved to where I’m generally not interested. Now, about the only sports I watch regularly are tennis and baseball.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I do not mind the “3 batter” rule. I wonder why fans are often critical of the designated hitter, saying a guy needs to play the whole game, yet the designated pitcher is not considered an “incomplete” player. The rule is sort of a gimmick, but I think it is neutral as far as strategy. It might even generate a little more strategic planning for a manager as you have to think ahead a bit more when making a pitching change with less than two outs.

Like EuroD, I too have mostly lost interest in the other sports at the pro and big college level. I loved pro football as a kid, but it got so big with so many teams, and I never latched on to one team as a fan, so now I barely keep up with it.

I was a huge Warriors and NBA fan as a kid and young adult. I started to lose interest in the ’80s, which was the time a lot of people latched on to the NBA. But the Warriors were so mis-managed at that time I just lost interest, and now even with the recent great Golden State teams it just does not interest me much.

The last to fall by the wayside, although not quite to the same degree, is NCAA football. I started to lose interest when the big “super” conferences were forming. I still follow Wyoming pretty close, and like the Mountain West conference. It is sort of a throw back to the old days, where college football is fun and not the media circus like the big money programs.

My wife is a pretty big hockey and Colorado Avalanche fan, so I have followed the NHL a little closer in recent years. It was great seeing the Blues win the cup. I remember as a kid now and then catching some of a Blues broadcast on KMOX when they would come on after a Cardinal game ended, with Dan Kelly at the mike.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fantasy sports and relaxation of betting have helped to keep general interest high in college and professional sports. But team allegiances are immaterial there.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I had a friend do a data pull for me. In 2019, MLB had 34 doubleheaders. 67 of the 68 teams used their 26th man on a pitcher. That gives a pretty strong indication of how teams may use the extra player next season.

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

I’m old school to the bone but I’m sick of the delays in ALL sports. If they made a rule that after a hitter gets 2 strikes on him, on the 3rd foul ball he’s out!

If they made a ten second rule for the pitcher I’m for it.

If mound visits were abolished, I’m in. Think back when you were a kid: was the game not fun when it was completed in 2 hours?

A batter falls 0-2 and ends up walking due to nibbling and spoiling for 10 pitches. Make 3 balls and 3 strikes the rule. Move the damn game along!

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I think this rule is dumb as can be, but so far the commish is showing he is about as dumb as the rules he is making up.

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

ONYX:I think this rule is dumb as can be, but so far the commish is showing he is about as dumb as the rules he is making up

It’s not dumb. Baseball would never have caught on if it was as slow in 1880 as it is now. If players would get in the box and stay there, if the manager would keep his fat ass in the dugout and the pitcher would PITCH the time would be cut in half.

But they won’t because they’re on TV. They wear gold and platinum around their necks, put tats on the arms and necks and wear crazy beards and do’s and stall the game because LOOK AT ME, PLEASE LOOK AT ME I’M ON TV!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Instead of forcing pitchers to face three batters maybe they could limit the number of relievers used in a 9 inning game. It kind of accomplishes the same thing but just in a different way. If you were only allowed 4 or 5 relievers in 9 innings that might work. Of course then we would have a plethora of fake injuries. There is always a way to beat the system.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.