Pham article 5-20-18

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Pham article 5-20-18

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting article Brian.Good points Pro and Con.My opinion is NO long term deal for Pham.My reasons
    1.Sure he is playing well but he does have a lengthy health/vision problem history.
    2.He is already 30 years old
    How many long term deal work out with players 30 or over
    3.He plays a position in which the Cardinals are deep in highly rated prospects nearly ready for MLB action.
    4.You already have a possible replacement available in Harrison Bader who is quite a bit younger and is highly rated.
    5.His “everybody screwed me” routine wont fly forever.He isnt Bryce Harper,Reggie Jackson etc;.
    6.It is never real smart to bite the hand signing the paychecks.Sooner or later it will be one caustic comment too many.
    7.Abrasive personalities eventually wear out their welcome.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think the Cards will wait until the Ozuna situation plays out. If they dont sign Ozuna long term, a long term contract for Pham comes into play.

If Pham puts up a 6+ war season this year he is probably in line for $8-$10 million next year in arb.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope he hits his 30/30 goal and gets that $8-$10 million next year. He deserves it if anybody does. He’s the best player on the team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t like signing anyone to a long term deal until at least their second year of arbitration and I sure wouldn’t do it with a player north of 30 with a history of injuries. If this past winter taught us anything it is that those kinds of deals are going away.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham is certainly good and should continue to be relatively good but unfortunately his early career injuries are going to cost him a lot of money. If the guy was 25 I’d be all over trying to sign him for 5+ years but at 30, he’ll have to take his arb money and hope his skills don’t deteriorate by the time he’s a free agent.

Not that we should feel too sorry for someone who will still probably make 10 times or better more what most of us will make in our entire careers over the next four years…

Participant

I am all for him getting his 30/30 but he needs to improve his stealing percentage. At 62% he will be caught 19 times to get 30 steals.

Participant

Free

I think the Cards will wait until the Ozuna situation plays out. If they dont sign Ozuna long term, a long term contract for Pham comes into play.

Lol! Ozuna won’t be a Cardinal past 2019. This was in my estimation a 2 year rental for a power bat we needed to fill the void until someone in the system or better option was made available via trade or FA.

Participant

Where is this “power bat” that you make reference to?

Participant

Free

</5.His “everybody screwed me” routine wont fly forever.He isnt Bryce Harper,Reggie Jackson etc;.
    6.It is never real smart to bite the hand signing the paychecks.Sooner or later it will be one caustic comment too many.
    7.Abrasive personalities eventually wear out their welcome.>

I think you’re on to something. Pham’s injury history explains his salary history. There is no conspiracy.

Participant

Free

5.His “everybody screwed me” routine wont fly forever.He isnt Bryce Harper,Reggie Jackson etc;.
    7.Abrasive personalities eventually wear out their welcome.

I agree. Pham’s unfortunate injury history explains his salary history. No conspiracy. Of course the SI article fits sports tabloid journalism.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years