Paul DeJong was drafted as a catcher – could he return as one

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Paul DeJong was drafted as a catcher – could he return as one

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Rusty55
    Participant

Free

With Molina’s knee injuries and Knizner’s ongoing struggles at the plate, could Paul DeJong be given a look at catcher while he is down in Memphis? DeJong has a big contract that currently isn’t providing much benefit and he is currently blocked from returning as an infielder. Barring a trade that would unlikely yield much value, why not see if Paul could return to the position that he played in college? He was a catcher when the Pirates drafted him in 2015. As a backup catcher/utility infielder he would seem to have more current value than Herrera who does not yet appear ready. DeJong’s batting average isn’t much to envy at Memphis but he has hit 10 homeruns. I understand that Molina is coming back – but the knee problems are likely to persist and he may again need time on the 10 day.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Hererra is way closer than Dejong. He’s just a mostake. Been a few of those.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Mikolas the Ace now. Looked good again.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

He wasn’t drafted as a Catcher. At Illinois State as a Freshman he played 8 C, 30 2B, 2 SS. As a Sophomore he played 6 C, 34 2B, 19 3B, 2 SS. Then summer league was primarily a 3B, getting some time in RF and 2B. As a Junior he played 15 C, 27 2B, 20 3B, 4 RF. After his Jr. year is when he was drafted by the cardinals and has NEVER caught again and was primarily a 3B (some 2B and SS) until 2017 when he was moved to SS and also the year he made his MLB debut and has been almost solely a SS except for that 2017 year when he saw some time at 2B.
    Don’t listen to Dan’s stories about how he was a Catcher in college and moved to SS. Yes he did some catching in college, but has always been an IF, and if he’s back in a St. Louis Cardinals uniform this season it’s probably as a utility IF because they trade Sosa to get help in this terrible and thin bullpen.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Mo is hoping DeJong will hit enough in AAA to reduce the pain of dumping his contract. Not likely to give him anything else to worry about.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

What is going on with the site. Half my posts now come back as undeliverable.

We all know the bat plays at catcher lmao!

I doubt he will want to play in Peoria to learn a position he barely even played in college. He might be better off staying in Memphis and hope for a couple injuries or a trade to happen.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

He was drafted as a 3B….

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The main problem with PDJ is not his defense or what position to play him. Making a catcher out of him will not solve his offense problems. Besides, as much as we would hate seeing any of our young talent heading the cubbies way, Mo has
    to be speaking with Chicago concerning bringing Contreras to St. Louis. It just makes sense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of Molina I think I read somewhere that he is actually back home in the Dominican Republic. It doesn’t sound like he is even remotely close to coming back.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of Molina I think I read somewhere that he is actually back home in the Dominican Republic.

They said on the broadcast tonight Yadi was rehabbing at home. Pretty sure that’s Puerto Rico though.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

If DeJong isn’t hitting as a shortstop why would he hit as a catcher? At least he’s a competent defensive SS.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They said on the broadcast tonight Yadi was rehabbing at home. Pretty sure that’s Puerto Rico though.

Yes, I meant PR.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I have Always liked Sosa but he is Just not cutting it right now. He needs tô be sent down and Dejong brought up. Dejong is a better fielder and hard tô believe a better hitter right now. Sosa would need tô pass through waivers but I doubt anyone would claim him. And would we lose much if they did?

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Myself I don’t care to see Dejong or Dickerson back on this team at all. Package them up for a dozen balls and a new clipboard.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I would much rather see Sosa play short on a consistent basis than DeJong. I think Sosa has a lot more upside. But with Gorman on the roster, and the upside he has, it is a tough call for Eduardo. He is mostly a platoon shortstop, and it is hard to get in a groove when you play once a week.

DeJong just lost the ability to hit after a nice start to his career. A bit like Stephen Piscotty. Some guys mysteriously lose their coordination and fine eye-hand skills – Allen Craig went that way, as did Garrett Atkins of the Rockies. Matt Carpenter too, although he is having a resurgence in Yankee pinstripes. Something about those Yankee uniforms…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years