Overuse of Matt Bowman

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Overuse of Matt Bowman

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bowman has appeared in 134 games over the last two years (126 1/3 innings) entering this season. His rough debut yesterday led me to this rather telling article from Birds on the Black about his arm “falling off”: https://t.co/775uiXmdRY

NJ315
    Participant

We have seen this movie before. Feel bad for Bowman.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

what does yesterday have to do with overuse?

His past overuse is one thing, but yesterday he just didnt pitch well…neither did Carlos
    as for Bowman’s overuse in general i think it is entirely overblown… for a time last year he was pretty much the only guy who could be trusted in a pen that had no ability to correct itself from AAA or outside

early on Oh, Rosy, Brox, Cecil, Siegrest, Soco all struggled mightily…only until we gave Lyons more time and moved on from Siegrest and Soco…combined with Rosy coming around and Brebbia being ashot in the arm did the pen figure itself out

Shoudl Matheny have kept throwing Oh out there when he was getting lit up? Shoudl he have kept putting Brox in?

If Matheny had kept going to those wells more and losing games everyone woudl be attacking him for not going with Bowman or whomever is doing well

Bowman pitched well at a time when no one else was..he was leaned on…it may end up having hurt him long term… but he was the best option at the time more often than not and he came through to help keep the team afloat

NJ315
    Participant

Did you read the article? It explains how his prior overuse was relevant to yesterday’s performance. You may disagree with it but it does answer the first question in your post.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

It appears to me that mechanically his delivery does appear to be a tad different than in the previous 2 seasons. I hadn’t really watched Bowman much this spring until the game in Toronto.

IDK man! Bowman has times where he gets hit around a bit, then has a string of solid outings then doesn’t look good again. The velocity drop is a red flag to me but we’ll see.

PadsFS
    Participant

Bowman is and always has been a mediocre pitcher. Mediocre pitchers generally put up mediocre numbers.

PadsFS
    Participant

Given Mike Matheny’s history of overusing relievers, Matt Bowman’s abuse is unlikely to end anytime soon. As one of Mike’s Guys…

I love that this BS is just thrown out as common knowledge when it’s anything, but fact.

Those data points on FB velocity are a joke. 93.5 to 91.5? I bet Bowman could unleash a 93.5 MPH fastball tomorrow. Would that make the article null? That is such a miniscule difference, but, man, if you make that graph’s Y-axis long enough, his fastball velocity looks like the plunge during the great depression.

Bowman in all likelihood, changed his mechanics at some point, but let’s just assume it’s over-use and that his only recourse from the fiery pain of Matheny cleating his arm after every game is to pitch worse and worse over time, no DL for one of Mike’s Guys. I wonder if that means Bochy’s boy, who is second from last on the list, Madison Bumgardner, is over-used too.

Look at Bowman’s velocity over on Fangraphs from the same time period. What a drop in velocity!

https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=13528&position=P&pitch=SI&data=pi

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.