Outfield trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Outfield trade thread

This topic contains 22 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Andrew Crause 2 years ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Who would you move to clear up some of the outfield logjam?

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Pham for sure.

Ideally fowler but that won’t happen. Since that wont happen I would include bader or sierra for a shortstop or third base prospect that is fairly close to aaa.

I would keep piscotty and hope he has a comeback year.

We probably will have to clear the logjam again in the offseason or next year too.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I wouldn’t be against trading any or all three of them including Piscotty, if the front office waits till the end of the year it’s because they refuse to admit that their plan failed, their plan to build from within, they put their money on the players that we have and so far it hasn’t worked so they’d then be giving them every possible chance to prove them right…

I’m just not sure who we would want from the Indians…as for Fowler I’m not ready to give up on him just yet, now if next year is like this one then maybe see who he would be willing to be traded to…

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Please let Cecil be part of the trade.

NJ315
    Participant

LOL

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Definitely Grichuk. He’s very streaky and the last couple years have been particularly so. He’s also not as good with the glove as Pham and comes with a lower walk rate. He’s younger, of course, so the values would be similar…I just think it’s more likely Pham plays better the next few years.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I would deal grichuk in the offseason and hope he goes on a tear the last two months to give him value

If he has one of his tears he could be worth a decent amount.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I guess that would depend on what a team like Cleveland would offer now wouldn’t it.

But I agree if he found magic in a bottle the last 2 months of the season last year then he could do it again. It’s risky if continues the up and down play like hes done all season.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I wouldn’t trade Bader for a prospect close to AAA that would make no sense what so ever

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

My reticence with trading Grichuck is lack of another power bat. Grichuck is the onlu current roster hope for a major power bat. I only trade Grichuck if I have a plan for adding another power bat.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I go back and forth here. Yes we need power bats. He is the closest we have. But realistically his greatest value is in center where he will not be playing. I also have an inherent fear of depending on players long term when they swing at everything.

To me… Like adams… He has no place here. Fowler and O’Neill (due to power and patience) probably have two spots locked down long term and that leaves like 8 guys for 3 spots when you include bench after this year — which is ridiculous.

Which tells me he should be dealt… But you have to wait for his hot streak to do it.

I could see keeping him… But I think we will address the power issue in other ways (we already have a little with O’Neill).

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I’m not ready to hand a starting position to a guy hitting .240/in AAA.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I doubt Grichuk and Piscotty have much trade value at this point. Pham’s value has risen exponentially, but then that is why you prefer to keep him.

Most likely we are stuck with what he have, unless we move Pham in the hopes that he brings more future value than he will provide. I would have to be almost overwhelmed on a deal for him, so it’s hard to see much changing here until possibly the off-season, when we might be able to put a package deal together that includes one of these guys.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals are going to have to unclog the 40 man prior to the Rule 5 so they can protect players and not lose them without receiving anything in return (as they’ve done the last two years)…

That means at least one of the outfielders has to be traded…

The Cardinals may be selling low on Grichuk, but what makes you think he is going to increase his value such that he can get an awesome return? The Cardinals didn’t exactly give up a lot to acquire him and he’s done nothing the past two years to show he is going to command a great return…

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Nobody is handing anyone anything but he has the inside track and will get first shot. They didnt deal for him to sit him.

You may not be ready for a guy hitting .240 but a guy who is 22 and has an ops over 1.000 in July … Well… Better get ready. Odds are very good he is in st louis next year.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

You said you thought O’neill had a long term spot locked down. I stlll see lots of guys ahead of him on the depth chart that a ,240 ba won’t move him ahead of. Yes, he is only 22. Maybe he’ll raise his ba maybe he won’t.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I could see Adolis Garcia getting the first shot. He has hit well in AAA since moving up there.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Long term he will have a spot locked up unless he blows it. He is that kind of talent.

The rest is semantics.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Fowler, as it turned out, was a bad signing, but he’s not going anywhere anytime soon.

And you can’t waste a LF spot for an inconsistent bat like Grichuk, Piscotty is 60/40 on turning it around, Pham could be the real deal, but if you have a 401K or Etrade or Scottrade, etc account, you know it’d be smart and sell high…..

catching the Cubs now is about as likely as Mila Kunis finding the fat kid in the sandlot attractive.

Move Lynn, Rosey, Oh, Carp, Gyorko ASAP and switch those parts and some internal parts for Ozuna and Donaldson.

I said this in another post(sorry for the repeating), but DeJong, Gyorko and Yadi as 3, 4, 5 aint getting the Cards to the playoffs!! Do they thing Voit is going to be Albert? That was a once in a lifetime event Mo!

No 3,4 hitter in 2018, and no hope, watch the scramble after the ticket sales and interest plummet from DeWallet.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Fowler can, and should, be going elsewhere. It’s just that the Cardinals will have to eat about $6-8 million per year to make that happen. But, would you rather make the playoffs and eat a portion of Fowler’s contract, or miss the playoffs and put up with him for four more years? MAKE THE TRADE.

I don’t understand the infatuation with moving Gyorko. I agree – he is not a #4 hitter. He’s probably a very good #5, #6 or #8 hitter. He plays above average defense at two positions – 2B and 3B. At worst, keep him as a utility player with power. He could also slide back to 2B, which is his natural position. A 2B hitting 20-30 HR per year with average-to-above-average defense is an all-star.

Ozuna helps the team get younger, Donaldson does not.

I don’t see a market for Carpenter at this point.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Even throwing 6-8 a year at Fowlers deal, who would want him?

Gyorko I get your case, but regression is going to happen, so sell high when you can.

My entire philosophy is, that they will not win without actual 3 and 4 hitters, any other ideas on how to acquire those are more than welcome.

Trading a 2 2 2 does actually equal a 6, trade a 4 4 4 to get an 8 is what it actually takes. Valuations are not linear, Mo doesn’t get that. Talent/Skills are not linear, they have 20 guys that are average, trade 3 – 5 to get one exponential one, which is not a linear statistic.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Place fillers are like toilet paper, they are bright and white at the beginning and end up looking like poop

Andrew Crause
    Participant

This OF thing has me perplexed. I’ve liked and supported Pham for so long and I do think he’s for real. But it’s possible his eyes get worse again and he slips. Grichuk is what he is but that power is tantalizing. Fowler will do better but won’t match is year last year and could hold back other OF prospects. Piscotty has to be better than what he is this year but is he as good as he was last year? Going forward not sure who we get the most value from trading and who we want to keep.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years