One Good Thing About This Playoff Run

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum One Good Thing About This Playoff Run

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Whats good about this playoff run is that we now forget the miserable May that the Cards had. Remember we started out 20-10 and then lost the last game at Washington and then got swept by the Cubs. We can forget that now.

We can also forget being swept the first two series at Wrigley by the Cubs. We lost six straight to the Cubs at Wrigley.

We can forget that idiotic bone-head play by DeJong in the San Francisco game where all he had to do was flip it to Wong for the force at 2nd. Instead he started to throw to 1st and then at the last second decided to flip it to Wong who had already give up on the play. That extended the inning to Crawford and he hit a homerun. The Giants won that game 9-8.

We can now forget Carlos Martinez blowing the 1-0 lead in the 9th to Atlanta the other day.

We can forget all the times we failed to get a runner in from 3rd with less than two outs. That irritated the heck out of me during the season.

Anything else that’s in the past now, fellow posters?

r/Esteemed Rat

DaveDave
    Participant

Free

That Ozuna play in left where he jumped on the wall, only for the ball to land 3 feet in front of him.

Flares base running blunders as a pinch runner late including getting picked off 2nd to end the game.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How about forgetting about calling Cardinals players demeaning names and show them some respect as individuals and elite athletes?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Martinez boys act like goofs. That is irrefutable. It cant be denied.

Carlos Martinez has never lived up to expectations. Is that because he’s got that goofy attitude and not the serious Bob Gibson type attitude?

Jose Martinez had his worst year at the plate this year. Is that because he’s got that goofy attitude and not the serious Bob Gibson type attitude?

I guess its Baseball 2019. But I don’t like it. Its all over the game. Gold chains, rings, jewelry, tattoos, hair colors/styles, etc. All the celebrating on the basepaths, showing up other teams, fans, pitchers, etc. And the Martinez boys are our main culprits. Its not – NOT – Cardinal Baseball.

r/Esteemed Rat

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by RatsbuddyRatsbuddy.
    skippy mckillskippy mckill
    Participant

Free

What are your expectations for CMart?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We are getting off topic here. Lets get back to the original topic.

The success we have had in the playoffs now over-shadows some of the season disappointments. Like the 2011 World Series run, that made me forget all about Brandon Phillips walk-off homerun in the bottom of the 9th at Cincinnati off of Salas. Boxscore below.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2011/B07150CIN2011.htm

DaveDave
    Participant

Free

-not Being in this position since 2014
    -Getting schooled in 2 straight starts vs Yamamoto.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards can forget about a 3-year postseason hiatus. They can forget about the defensive lapses, base running blunders and bull pen woes of the recent seasons. They can forget about cubs’ ownage at Wrigley. They can forget about Kris Bryant’s cute attempt at humor at the expense of St Louis.

For that matter, this discussion can extend beyond Cards’ fans. Bryant and the cubs can forget about the postseason, talk of dynasty, etc. Good for Bryant because he doesn’t personally have to worry about sucking so bad at the plate again in postseason this year like he did for three seasons of their dynasty era.

Participant

Free

Rat – Remember that one time in the 70s when a dude was swinging his bat at fans? Probably not. How about the blatant racism in the 50s? Probably not.

Dave – 2015.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

SJW alert. You’re crowned Extrapolater of the Year!! Move to the front of the line quickly. Sticking to baseball is hard for some.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Plus you’re 0 fer 2. Second comment is totally inaccurate and Dave is right. Cards haven’t been in the LCS since 2014, which is what he was saying.

jimjim
    Participant

Free

Forget about Ozuna breaking his fingers getting picked off first, while reaching for the base with his non-ovenmitted hand…

Participant

Paid - Annual

The best thing for me to forget is Paul DeJong swinging at 982 sliders in a row and missing.

DaveDave
    Participant

Free

What I don’t know: who will come through with the big hit or big play. The best lineup to use, what pitcher to bring in.

What I do know: we are in the LCS for the first time since 2014. As long as we have an AB, we have life. Never count us out.

What I’m sure of? I am proud to be a Cardinals fan.

My only key to the First 2 games: if we don’t come to bat in the 9th, it will increase our chances of taking a 2-0 lead back to D.C. 🤩

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Stop complaining. There is everything good about this Playoff run.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

This thread is really disheartening. We are exactly at the apex of where we hoped to be at the start of the year. We control our destiny in the NLCS. I am usually positive in my posting and I generally support Mo and I am quite happy with the results this year. I didn’t know if we were capable of advancing this far, but we have, without sacrificing our future at the trading deadline. At this point it is a crapshoot.

Participant

Free

Euro Dandy

SJW alert. You’re crowned Extrapolater of the Year!! Move to the front of the line quickly. Sticking to baseball is hard for some.

What are you talking about?

Rat is the one that said this: I guess its Baseball 2019. But I don’t like it. Its all over the game. Gold chains, rings, jewelry, tattoos, hair colors/styles, etc. All the celebrating on the basepaths, showing up other teams, fans, pitchers, etc. And the Martinez boys are our main culprits. Its not – NOT – Cardinal Baseball.

Acting like this didn’t happen in albeit different ways in previous generations of baseball. Gotta play the game the “right” way.

I like the way baseball changes. One good thing about this playoff run for me is seeing the pitching turn a corner. I thought Miller, Wacha, Martinez, and Reyes were going to be cornerstones of our rotation, and after they all somewhat fell apart in their own way, it’s nice to see Flaherty and Hudson develop.

Another thing, I like how Helsley and Fernandez finally made it to the bullpen. I think we all knew they would be something special once they moved to the pen and they haven’t let me down in that assessment. Hicks was also in that same group too (and Alcantara)

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

What are you talking about?

Everything you said after this quote had nothing to do with the monstrous leap you made in your original post, so what are you talking about? Even Bob Beamon would probably be hella impressed with that hang time and hand you his gold medal.

Participant

Free

Euro Dandy

Everything you said after this quote had nothing to do with the monstrous leap you made in your original post,

Again, what are you talking about? What monstrous leap?

Rat talked about players today not being of the Cardinal Way, specifically showing up other teams, fans, pitchers, etc

I commented that the older generation in the 70s didn’t take too kindly to the player swinging his bat at fans or in the 50s when jackie robinson was finally able to play and getting spit on and such. Heck, Babe Ruth was ostricized regularly in the 20s for his attitude and flashiness.

Clearly, baseball players are more enlightened than the fans of the sport and they always have been imo.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Stop complaining. There is everything good about this Playoff run.

The Cardinals have very much exceeded my expectations this year but please stop shaming people for voicing concerns. This is a message board. It is going to happen. If all we did was pat each other on the back 24/7 it would get kind of boring, people would stop posting, and Brian would be out of a job. None of us want that to happen.

Life is not always daffodils and lollipops. The Cards are in the NLCS which is an outstanding achievement but even the most objective observer would have to say this is a far from perfect team. We are basically a slightly above average team who has come through in clutch situations and overachieved some. We have lived on the edge all season, clinched the division on the very last day, won the NLDS in the 5th and deciding game, etc….

I think the key is to be balanced. I don’t like all negative posts and I don’t like all positive posts because neither is reflective of reality. There are ups and downs and there is nothing wrong with describing both.

skippy mckillskippy mckill
    Participant

Free

Maybe if more people had a goofy attitude they could get a base hit like JMart.

Participant

Free

well unfortunately what it has showed is that management can be lazy and a team can still find a way to overcome it with some clutch hitting, great pitching, and a lot of luck. so I expect the same from management next year. yea its been great that they won the division and advanced but it just color coats the problems with the team. some may be happy with just being good enough but id rather the cardinals strive for something better. this has nothing to do with the larussa years, matheny years or before. its about the last few years. I have higher expectations especially when the club is enjoying the second highest attendance in the league. and annually is among the top teams.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Clearly, baseball players are more enlightened than the fans of the sport and they always have been imo.

You speak as if these two large groups of people are two homogeneous elements, which is I think is a stretch and a not so good way to view it. Similarly, the connections you have made from your original post to the subsequent posts do seem like huge leaps to me, but I understand your thinking a little more now, so thanks for your explanations.

One area of definite common ground we have is the Redbirds need to perk up the offense and win this series. I’ll focus on that with you from this point forward.

Participant

Free

Forget about Ozuna breaking his fingers getting picked off first, while reaching for the base with his non-ovenmitted hand…

I was at that game! lol

My expectations was the Wild Card. If they made that some of the management team could keep their jobs….for now. They’ve won an NLDS and however much I felt going into the NLCS that the Nats momentum would be hard to overcome. They’ve been competitive even with the shortcomings at closer and within the starting 8.

My concern is no matter how this plays out that the ownership will sit on it’s hands in regards to the offense next season. That just simply can’t happen if they hope to repeat as central champions or make the wild card. Losing Ozuna as much as this pains me to say this will hurt us more than help on offense. We don’t have anyone other than Goldschmidt in this organization at this time who can drive in 90 rbi and there will only be the one unless someone just surprises.

Participant

Unless they win the World Series then the playoff run is worthless. You’re right, 858, Junior had his 3.4 million and that’s all he wanted. They’ll do nothing and they can justify it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years