Odds Of A Virus Stoppage

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Odds Of A Virus Stoppage

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I keep reading where virus cases are increasing. Plus I read where Biden’s guy said governors are making a mistake by opening things up too soon.

So…..what are the odds that we have virus issues this MLB season? What are the odds games get cancelled or postponed? What are the odds teams and players get shut down?

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Depends on how quickly the players get vaccinated. Possibly a couple hiccups in the early going, Rat. But make no mistake about it…..in these once United States, this virus is mightily struggling and on it’s way out. With each passing day, The Vid is having fewer and fewer hosts to infect. By summer, it’ll be all but gone. DO NOT let your guard down early though, if you’re not vaccinated, it could cost you your life.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I dont intend on getting the vaccine until around the 4th of July. I want to see if there are any side effects for those that have already got it. I am going to give it another 2-3 months.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Not to start a political argument, but in my opinion, this current flu bug is a super-flu not unlike the Hong Kong flu, the bird flu, this flu, and that flu. These super-flus happen every so often and they’re going to keep happening. I’d be willing to bet that, when this current ‘pandemic’ is finally declared over, somebody is going to do a survey that shows, miraculously, that there were 150,000 less deaths from heart disease, another 150,000 less deaths from diabetes, another 150,000 less deaths from ‘other’, and so on. I’m sick and tired of hearing about COVID. Nobody is going to die from this current super-flu that doesn’t already have something else seriously wrong with them. Let’s just move on.

Participant

Free

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But COVID isn’t in the flu family, more like the common cold family. No doubt some deaths are attributed to covid that had co-morbidity with diabetes, old age, heart disease, obesity. But excess deaths are not hard to compute in aggregate, and there are over 400,000.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Since I got my second dose I am tired of hearing about covid too.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Nobody is going to die from this current super-flu that doesn’t already have something else seriously wrong with them. Let’s just move on.

I can give you at least a dozen or so stories about people who were healthy and then died from Covid. I love when people who have zero medical background like playing doctor.

Participant

Free

Very serious world wide pandemic.
    Which will have an effect on how we move forward.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It has been a very kind virus in the fact that it has no real desire to hurt our healthy young populace. But, it has been quite cunning in find ways to inhabit and thus destroy others. Our regular garden variety flu strains have been virtually non-existent this year, mainly due to to the precautions in place to prevent The Vid. But I think it runs deeper than that. I think this coronavirus promptly pounces on any and all potential competing virus. Even though it’s probably and hopefully a longshot, here’s my fear; what if this coronavirus, facing sparse targets due to vaccination, suddenly does a complete 180 and kicks out a variant in which our present vaccines are rendered completely useless…..a variant that devastates primarily our healthy youth.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There will be some games impacted by the virus, in all likelihood. I doubt it will be a lot, since most players and staff will be vaccinated.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To put the discussion back on topic, VEB has a comprehensive view of the protocols for this season. Please keep the personal opinions to yourselves and focus on COVID in MLB. Thanks.

Participant

Free

The protocols for baseball reflect the overall recommended protocols for society as a whole.

Participant

Free

Before I started at the hospital I know of 2 people within the department who died from covid related illness. I don’t know if they had any other underlying issues but these people were around 50-60 years old. Someone in the department has had 2 relatives die from it. Thankfully I started after all that happened.

Having seen this up close and personal. I can tell you that many of the deaths have been older people or people with underlying illnesses or previous conditions. It was bad for a bit as we had 3 covid wards at the hospital. Things have gotten better as we are now down to 1 ward but gatherings like St. Patrick’s, spring break and Easter can spike this right back up. The shots aren’t going to fully protect you. So you should take precautions.

I’m sick of covid like the rest. I am vaccinated. I wear my mask, I sanitize my hands but I also go out to eat and will go to my ballgames in April. It’s possible that we could have a shut down but my guess is now that the wheels are in motion and more and more people are getting the shots that the train isn’t coming to a halt. At worst they keep the limited attendance and maybe you have a handful of positives but mlb wants butts in the seats after missing out on all the revenue last season and likely won’t be stopped.

Participant

Free

Please keep the personal opinions to yourselves and focus on COVID in MLB. Thanks.

I like your forum Brian, but I will leave (or get kicked out) before I participate in censorship. Many of the readers have opinions, and many are not broadly read, or read only a particular type of news. Sports is the great melting pot of our society, bring all of us together. I will be civil, non-judgmental, truthful, and kind. But not censored. My apologies in advance for being in your face, but this is an important issue. And it IS a baseball issue, because baseball is an American game (North, Central, and South), with American values of free speech. People risk their lives to come hear, and they don’t come for censored baseball forums. I write this not to upset you, but hopefully to soften your stance. Frank.

Participant

Free

I am not a baseball expert, just a Cardinal fan. But I am a statistics expert, with a MS from Stanford, so I will use my gifts to bring clarity and helpful passion on subjects being discussed.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Assuming the J&J vaccine is effective the Cardinals should be in good shape within two weeks.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This site has rules. Always has and always will. Those who don’t like the rules claim censorship. Other sites may be more lax. Good for them.

To this thread, a discussion of whether MLB or teams will have a COVID-related shutdown is on subject. However, a poster’s personal opinion of the origin of the virus, its seriousness, how many have died, etc, is not on subject.

It is very simple. THIS IS A CARDINALS BASEBALL FORUM. Opinions on baseball are always welcome.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hockey has been impacted by COVID. Certain players have been out with the sickness and quarantined. It’s surprising that spring training for baseball players has not been affected more than it has. The only thing that comes to mind is a very few players having to start late because of COVID. I’m going to say that the MLB season is going to be only mildly affected given the league’s experience with COVID, and the fact that the vaccine is becoming more and more obtainable. I’d say that there is a only a low possibility that it will have any effect on division races.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

It’s started already. Mets and Nationals postponed on Opening Day due to someone testing positive.

Here we go…….

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep already impacted. So hopefully the Cardinals themselves can avoid it but I think it will effect them in some way either way.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As you can see there have been almost no positive covid test results so far. Unfortunately what few there were are from from one team (Nats).

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-mlb-mlbpa-announce-covid-testing-results-for-april-2-2021

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years