Not Cheap

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Fowler, Mikolas, Carpenter and Goldschmidt. All contracts that show that Dewitt and the Cardinals are not cheap spenders. OTOH, these contracts suggest that they are not wise. Maybe it’s time for Mozeliak to go?

Participant

Free

You forgot Cecil and Gregorson too.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Might as well add Holland to that mess.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope they let go of whoever the scout (Flores?) was that is responsible for the Cecil debacle.

MO got lucky in 2011 when he signed Berkman coming off of an injury. I think he was trying to hit on the same kind of luck with Greggerson.

The Carpenter extension was a case where Carpenter played on MO’s emotions and fooled him into thinking he was doing the right thing.

Goldschmidt is not a bust. But, so far his contract doesn’t match up with his production on the field. I don’t think anyone ever gave a single thought to the idea that his production in St. Louis would not be comparable to his production in Phoenix. MO might have gotten tricked here, also. We’ll see.

It just seems that Fowler was hurt by having to leave the comaraderie with his friends in Chicago. It’s taken him this long to get over it. Matheny was of no use in getting Fowler through it.

I think MO could have gotten Mikolas to sign for less money if he had waited. But maybe not. There will be teams desperate to find a decent starting pitcher this offseason. Mikolas is decent.

If Carpenter and Goldschmidt were hitting as anticipated, this team would be near the top of the NL in offensive production, IMO.

Just wanted to pass along my thoughts.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Randy Flores is responsible for amateur scouting. That is not what is being discussed here. For professional scouting, it would be Matt Slater.

Participant

Free

For me, Goldy has earned his pay but mainly for his play at 1B. He has caught more balls and made more plays there than Carpenter could ever dream of. His bat is coming around and I think next season will see a lot of improvement in that area. He has always been strikeout prone so don’t expect to see that radically cut back. Actually when the infield consists of Edman, DeJong, Wong and Goldy it is one of the best in MLB.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Because of the state of our farm system lately, I have a tendency to blame Flores for whatever mistakes happen that are related to scouting.

I get what you are saying about Goldschmidt. It depends on what you are comparing him to, I guess. If you’re comparing his contract to Heyward’s contract, then his contract makes sense (if there’s anything that makes sense about paying a ballplayer millions upon millions of dollars). But the fact is that Goldschmidt is not living up to expectations. He is not producing like he is getting paid to produce.

Participant

Paid - Annual

We have discussed this in many many other threads but to reiterate: No, the Cardinals aren’t necessarily cheap but in recent years they haven’t spent their money wisely. Because of those ill advised contracts is why I predict Ozuna will not be back next year unless they can miraculously move some of the bad money.

Participant

Free

Mikolas makes $9.0M this year.

Carpenter makes $14.75M.

Goldschmidt makes $14.5M.

All three of their contract extensions start next year. That’s three of your four players. Complain next year.

This year’s wasted money is going to Cecil, Gregerson, and Gyorko.

Participant

Paid - Annual

They could ask Carpenter, Goldschmidt, and Molina to take less money next year with the promise that they will get all of their money, with interest, in the following years. What this boils down to is MO asking the players to loan him the money to sign Ozuna. It has happened before, I think with Holliday. Also, Molina’s $20M should be off the books after 2020, and Cecil’s $7M will be gone. Also, they supposedly have all that extra TV revenue. The point is that there is probably a way to sign Ozuna if they really want to.

Participant

Free

Goldschmidt is not a bust. But, so far his contract doesn’t match up with his production on the field. I don’t think anyone ever gave a single thought to the idea that his production in St. Louis would not be comparable to his production in Phoenix. MO might have gotten tricked here, also. We’ll see.

Anyone with half a brain could tell you Goldschmidt’s numbers would take a hit getting out of the NL West for all those games. I tried telling people this when we traded for him and wanted to wait on an extension to see how bad the regression would be. His OBP, xbh and walk rate have regressed a bit. Likely because he doesn’t get to play in those bigger parks in Colorado, SF, AZ where either the parks are large or the ball flies all over.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The point is that there is probably a way to sign Ozuna if they really want to.

Oh the Cardinals could sign Ozuna and bolster the rotation if they really wanted to but it would require the payroll to zoom close to $200M, which is closer to Cubbieland. The Cardinals have never demonstrated the stomach to do this so I wouldn’t expect 2020 to be any different.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyone with half a brain could tell you Goldschmidt’s numbers would take a hit getting out of the NL West for all those games. I tried telling people this when we traded for him and wanted to wait on an extension to see how bad the regression would be. His OBP, xbh and walk rate have regressed a bit. Likely because he doesn’t get to play in those bigger parks in Colorado, SF, AZ where either the parks are large or the ball flies all over.

Arizona and Colorado have always been considered to be hitters parks but LA, SD, and SF certainly have not been.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here are the eight NL ballparks where Goldy has the highest career OPS, over .900. Four are in the West (but one was his home park), three are in the Central (including his best by far, Milwaukee) and one in the East.

Looks pretty balanced.

Miller Park 1.337
    Coors Field 1.023
    AT&T Park 1.006
    Citizens Bank (Phi) .979
    Dodger Stadium .958
    Chase Field (Ari) .933
    Wrigley Field .911
    PNC Park (Pit) .905

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years